Converting Garage Stairs from Outside to Inside

Wife and I are converting our garage into a family room. I am curious what to do with the stairs. They were built as "outside" stairs -- just like you would on a deck. But they were built very well and they are very sturdy.

Is it possible to make these outside stairs "prettier", to appear as "inside" stairs -- adding kickboards so they aren't open stairs, carpeting, molding, etc.

Or will I need to rip them all out and build some "inside" stairs from scratch?

Thanks

Reply to
wrldruler

You can probably use them, but why not leave them as an extra entrance and just build a new inside set?

If you don't want to do that, as long as the stringers are the right height you are good to go. If they are too long, cutting them down can cause problems as the code says the variation in step height can be no more than a given amount, IIRC 1/4".

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski