Converting B-vent to Vent Free?

I have had a Regency, B-vent, freestanding fireplace with gas logs running on city propane for 12 years and now want to convert it to a ventless/vent free log set. The problem with ordering new vent-free gas logs is that my existing firebox is so darn small, in size like 21"W x 10"D x 9"H. Other than the obvious difference in venting, and the inclusion of an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS), what else is different about the log sets? burners? I guess my question is this, can I just add an ODS type pilot system to my current gas logs or do I need to buy a different set of logs that will fit?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

No ideas???????

Reply to
Chuck

Nobody knows what the hell you are talking about.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Nobody knows what the hell you are talking about.

Oh. I didn't think it was that confusing. I have a functional, but non-efficient "B-Vent" (requires its own flue or chimney) style flue gas stove that I want to somehow try to convert to an energy-efficient (almost

99%) "vent-less/vent-free" heater/stove. What I am trying to determine is how to do this safely. I want to totally close off my existing flue and capture 100% of the heat just as if it were a vent-less model. The only difference I can see between the two models is that the ventless models are required to come with a special oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) as part of the pilot flame apparatus. I was going to replace my gas logs but instead I have cleaned my stove, blocked the flue, removed the glass front door, have run the stove, smell no gas fumes, and constantly monitor the CO with a detector which reads zero. Anything wrong with this setup?
Reply to
Chuck

I want to totally close off my existing flue and

te combustion. Where there *is* enough air for complete combustion (which = seems to be the case with your gas stove), CO2 (carbon dioxide) is produced= instead, which your CO monitor might not be sensing.

that you just might not wake up some morning. Your house might be drafty = enough that in the *short term* you might never get a dangerous build-up of= CO2. But really, I would hate to think that someone turned into a vegetab= le when I could have warned him.

eater that would keep one room more comfortable if that's what you want. A= High Efficiency gas furnace (over 90%) that is meant for a whole house sti= ll has a vent, even though its a 2" plastic one. It operates in a fairly a= ir-tight room of its own, with a combustion air inlet and a fan-boosted out= let to get rid of the carbon dioxide and water vapor.

Reply to
Lookingup

Ok. I found your original question from November 19, 2008. I do not believe you can convert them. Not only are the sensors different, but I believe the burners are also different.

Vanguard sells 18 inch logs and Peterson sells 16 inch vent free.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the heads up. I am still monitoring things constantly and dont use it at night. I dont see any difference in the gas burners themselves. Nice blue flames with nice orange tips. No smell, plenty of heat.

Reply to
Chuck