converting an old rotary phone to work now

Page 3 of 3

On Aug 10, 8:45am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I have one of these old dial phones. I can answer it , and call out but the bell won't ring. I was told it was a "party line phone" and therefore it requires a different frequency to ring. If this is true, is there a way to modify it so it can ring?
I am in canada and it is a very common design , your standard black desk phone, these were the ones they phone company (bc tel) provided, unless you paid extra to get some other fancy color or design
Phil
philsvintageradios wrote:

Make sure the bell is connected across the telephone line. As discussed elsewhere, sometimes (US) on party lines the bell was connected from one telephone line to 'ground'. It may also have been disconnected.
Or it may require a different ring frequency.
--
bud--

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:40:41 -0700 (PDT), philsvintageradios

I don't think frequency has anything to do with it. Well, it may have to do with how the phone rings, but not if it rings.
Is this made by Western Electic? If that's not the name, does it have a metal box inside with a plastic top with lots of screws with wires under them.
I'm in the US so just maybe there is some reason there is a difference, but Bud is right. There are two wires from the bell, and it's likely that one of the two goes to the same screw that the green or red goes to (one of the wires in the cord to the wall.) That's fine. But the other wire from the bell probalby doesn't go to the remaining green or red. Espeically if it had been used on a party line. So note where that other wire is and move it to the green/red that the first wire isn't connected to.
But bear in mind: There was a limit to how many phones with bells one could use in those days, something like 4. When different kinds of noise makers were used in phones, they assigned a Ringer Equivalence Number of 1 to the original mechanical bells. Everything else is lower than 1, maybe 0.2 or 0.3. Add up all the bells in your house and if they exeeeded 4, the phones wouldn't ring (even though everything else usually worked) So people with a lot of extensions would disconnect one of the bells inside the phone to make sure the phones still rang, or they would do it so that phone didn't make any noise. So maybe the wire (often with a two-tined fork on the end of it) is just sitting in space, connected to nothing.
AFAIK the maximum sum of all the RENs is still 4, but maybe they lowered it some places because there are so few real bells out there. Remember this if all your phones stop ringing one day!

I have 2 rotary phones that have dial tone and receives calls. Unfortunatel y, I cannot dial out on either phone. The first phone was purchased appx 1 month ago from a local 2nd hand store. The phone company has serviced the lines and added jacks as requested appx 2 weeks back. The tech had stated t hat there was a problem with the first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have the same issue. Is there a simple fix?
I would suggest joining the forums here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php
There's plenty of folks there that can help you.
On 9/29/14, 4:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you hear pulses in the handset as the dial spins back? For example, there should be 3 pulses as it spins back from 3.
The pulsing could be seen by unplugging the phone and connecting a 1.5 V battery and light bulb in series with the phone terminals. With the handset in the cradle, the light should be off. Lifting the handset should turn the light on. Turning the dial and releasing it should cause the dial to pulse 10 times a second.
If the pulsing seemed to be okay, I'd try the phone elsewhere in case the problem is with the local phone office or line.

tone and receives calls. Unfortunately, I cannot dial out on either phone. The first phone was purchased appx 1 month ago from a local 2nd hand store. The phone company has serviced the lines and added jacks as requested appx 2 weeks back. The tech had stated that there was a problem with the first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have the same issue. Is there a simple fix?

Some tone phones won't dial out if the polarity is reversed. Might want to try swap red and green wires in the socket, and see if that helps.
On 09/29/2014 03:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you have a "POTS" line you can dial out... but no dial-out is possible on VoIP

the first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have the same issue. Is there a simple fix?

I was wondering if any of the new boutique phone companies are dropping pulse dial.

I can take my old fashioned touch wall phone and tap out the pulses with the hook. That proves it's capable of pulse detection. It's also hooked to the comcast box, so it works either pulse or tone. Watch the movie cellular.
Greg

If these are Western Electric phones, it's hard to believe they're broken. (I have one 6 feet away that works fine.) If they are newer than that, with brand names on them other than WE, they might well be.
(Somewhere I have the wiring diagram for WE dial and touch tone phones.)
But try them at someone else's house, someone with a different carrier if possible.
What kind of jacks did the phone company add? Not those 4 pin ones with the pins almost 3/4s of an inch apart?
Do that and then if there's still a problem we can talk about fixing the phone.

I have an old dial phone and I'm using semaphores for communication, but I can't get the phone to actuate the semaphores. What should I do?
micky posted for all of us...
I may not have read all messages.

Call a railman, they know semaphores.
--
Tekkie

I expect most of them have done this.
Amongst the major players, Verizon still supports pulse dial for FIOS.

sadly my ATT voip does not.
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:45:10 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it. e.g.
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-covered-line-cord-spade-modular-various- colors.html
if you don't care about keeping it original looking any spade to RJ-45 cord should work.
Most phone exchanges still will work with rotary AKA pulse dialing. So wil l Verizon's FiOS boxes - I'm using a late 40's vintage Western Electric wal l phone in my kitchen, we have FiOS. The only thing to watch is the REN (R inger Equivalence Number) and the limits your phone company imposes (each d evice connected in your house will have a REN and when you sum them up ther e is a maximum number for your phone number) - any old phone with a mechani cal ringer probably has a REN of one.
nate
On 9/29/2014 6:43 PM, N8N wrote:

You didn't reply soon enough. The guy posted in 2008, and died shortly after in 2009, when he had a heart attack and could not dial for help.
On Monday, September 29, 2014 6:48:52 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Odd, this thread was at the top of the feed on Gurgle Gropes when I logged in to check Usenet.
Yeah, I know, get a real newsreader, but I'm not always on my own PC.
nate
N8N wrote:

So load a newsreader on a thumb drive and run it from there .
--
Snag