Convert Water Heater from NG to Propane

My father replaced his NG water heater when he installed a large jacuzzi tub. It is relatively new. My propane water heater is 12 years old. Can the water heater be converted easily from NG to propane? Is it worth it?

thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

I don't think so. When you convert a stove from NG to propane, you install a smaller orifice. AFAIK, water heater burners have orifices that are not replacable.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"pony67" wrote in news:37idne1 snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

It's a matter of changing the hole size in the orfice. Not to tough, but if you have the Gas company for any service, they will more than likely shut you off, if you modify an appliance to use NG from them. It's not really clear what your intentions are.

Reply to
lowspauld

I was thinking of converting the NG unit for my house when my heater dies to save some money, rahter than buying a new one. It was not used for very long and should still have several years life in it.

Reply to
pony67

Natural gas and propane need different orifices and different regulator setting. I haven't changed a water heater over from one to the other, but you might as well buy a new one because of the cost involved..

Reply to
HeatMan

exactly what I was looking for. I will not bother...

Thanks.

Reply to
pony67