convert propane barbecue to NG

Any problem converting subject? What would I have to do? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

Change regulator unless it has a dual setting. Change the orfice. Adjust the pressure. Takes special equipment.

Reply to
Twayne

I recently converted a beer brewing kettle from propane to natural gas. I removed the regulator and plumbed the gas line in. The orifice was then drilled out to about 1.5 times it original size. I did not know how much to drill it so I snuck up on it using a drill index in about 5 steps until I thought that the flame was about the same as it was with propane.

Reply to
Dan Listermann

Unless the grill is listed by CSA International, or another nationally recognized testing laboratory, as a duel fuel appliance it cannot be safely converted. Both the regulator and the burner orifice would need to be changed out. If a matched regulator and orifice are not used; or if the venturi piping itself is too small for natural gas; the appliance may malfunction the consequences of which can be quite dire. If you undertake a do it yourself conversion and botch the job you can jeopardize your fire insurance coverage on any fire that results from that conversion.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

NG is much lower pressure than propane. The threads for the gas line shouldn't be much trouble. Hook your local NG supply line into the burner. Don't use the propane regulator. You'll have to drill the orifice a bit larger. Like the other fellow said, try a little larger, and a bit larger later, if that's not enough flame.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The dealer may have a conversion kit. New regulator, new orifices, adjust to get the blue flame.

Check local regulations. Some require the grill to be permanently mounted and hard piped, no flex line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Asking that here is like asking what is the weather going to be tomorrow. About 95. But probably not where you are at.

Converting from one to the other is no big deal. Orifices and pipes and valve and regulators are all available. As mentioned, check codes, as you want it right for insurance purposes. You MAY have a problem finding the right orifices and "stuff" to do the job depending on the age and model of your unit.

Weigh the options of less portability, different cooking characteristics, cost, etc, and decide whether it might just be best to buy a propane too.

I know in some situations, there is construction, remodel, demolition, or age that dictates killing a natural gas cooking station.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

@newsfe04.iad...

I just did the conversion on a Charmglow. In this case, there was a $50 conversion kit because it is sold as dual fuel. But here's what the conversion actually consists of:

1 - Propane regulator and hose are removed and replaced with just a NG hose, no regulator. The cost of just the hose would be about $40, so it makes the whole kit a better option. 2- Burner orifices get removed and are not replaced.

3 - Bezels behind the burner turn on knobs get replaced. New ones say Natural Gas and have a stop that shortens how far the knob will turn. At first I thought this was to limit the max amount it will open. But instead, it limits how low the burner can be set. I'm assuming if you lowered it all the way like you could with propane, with NG the flame might go out.

I've seen discussions online where folks converted other ones themselves without a kit by just replacing the hose and drilling out the orifices to a slightly larger size. I even saw a table of drill sizes.

Reply to
trader4