Convert gas range to LP gas

Looking to replace a gas range. Present setup uses LP gas. I know that most new appliances come with a conversion kit. Question for now is how tricky is that to do?

Everything I've read suggests it is a straightforward process. Any gotchas one needs to be aware of?

Reply to
Jim

Probably depends on the range. On the Sears Kenmore range that I converted about 20 years ago, it was as simple as removing the cover of the pressure regulator, taking out a piece of plastic, turning it upside down, putting it back in, and reattaching the cover. Took about a minute.

My [limited] experience supports that notion.

None that I know of (but see above regarding limited experience).

Reply to
Doug Miller

From what I remember (converted to LP, then back again after NG came into our rural area)...it IS pretty straight-forward. There are orifice changes for the top burners and a gas regulator mod. I don't remember doing anything to the oven/broiler burner?

Reply to
Bob Villa

Call customer service of your range maker and get the skinny. They may even supply you with directions or a kit.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Jim wrote the following:

Take out the main NG orifice and replace it with an LP orifice available from an appliance repair store, or have the appliance store replace the orifice when you buy the range. All that is needed is a wrench of the proper size ( I did it once but forgot the wrench size, maybe 1/2").

Reply to
willshak

The biggest and most important I can think of is RTFM! (Read the f'ing manual)

Conversion from natural gas to lp is common in that industry. But some have different ways of doing it. Some, you have to replace all the orifices. Some, you just turn a plate, and you're done. Get the manual, read the instructions, follow them, and while you're at it, take a bottle of Windex, and spray on all the connectors just to be safe. I just bought a big Bosch

5 burner cooktop. Changing orifices was a little more involved than the usual stove, and there was a screw inside the on/off stem that had to be adjusted, but the instructions were clear, and I was done in less than half an hour.

Men may not seek directions in a car, but a manly man sure likes the instruction manuals when it comes to complex machinery.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Joe - Hi, this is Joe and I want to convert my range to LP gas.

CS (customer service) - Did you buy the range from us?

Joe - Yes

CS - Ok, before we begin, what is LP gas?

Joe - It's the kind of gas I have in my house.

CS - What's the model number of this ranch?

Joe - Range, not ranch.

CS - We need to know the month and year you purchased this water heater.

Joe - Its not a water heater, it's a range.

CS - Is that like home home on the range?

Joe - Ahhhhhh, I guess so....

CS - So what is your problem sir?

Joe - I told you. I want to convert it to LP gas.

CS - Why, cant you just get a newer cellphone model?

Joe - My phone worlks fine, it's the range.

CS - You'll need to mail this range back to the manufacturer. Give me your full name, adrerss, phone number and credit card number. I'll give you a tracking number to track your parcel.

Joe - How the hell do I mail a gas range?

CS - Same way you mail any other parcel, Go to the post office.

Joe - I just want to know how to convert it to LP gas.

CS - Here is your tracking number sir. Be sure to put this number on the package and in all corespondance. Have a nice day sir. Goodbye

Reply to
jw

I just had a dual-fuel oven installed for LP. Each burner orifice just had to be replaced with the appropriate size for the BTU output of that burner. They came in a kit and were color-coded by size.

Reply to
krw