Convert from Oil Heat?

Page 2 of 2
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote: ...

That's the contention and it's simply more poppycock and wishful dreaming...as someone else noted, alcohol(s), soy biodiesel, etc., will help but won't solve that problem and the effect on heating oil will be tenuous and extremely long term at best.
You can only evaluate what is available in your area and try to make a decision on what supplies are available and try to decide which hedge makes more sense.
The one thing haller did mention (altho I'm not sure it was even in this thread) is that probably the most cost-effective long run heating solution is the ground-source heat pump albeit it does have a moderately high initial installation cost. What that would be depends greatly on the site so you would have to research that w/ locals.

my point is that the OP haS A full OIL TANK, at this point he is probably better off to bide his time, before spending boatloads of money.........
till next spring
he has a year to decide, the current astronomical price run up may run down. just look at home prices off 25% in some areas. sure it probably will never be cheap again.
the oil producing nations are greedy, and risk a world recession and or depression.
that would cut consumption and price, perhaps a lot.
he should probably concentrate this year on insulation, have blower test for leaks etc. those investments tend to pay off forever.
lastly a heat pumps output may feel cool or drafty for a previous oil customer......
there output temperature is lower, feels cool to some.

A full tank may well only last part way through the winter.
--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

How about solar heat from a sunspace on the south side of the house, eg a lean-to greenhouse? Each $1 square foot of sunspace glazing can provide the heat equivalent of 1-2 gallons of oil per year. With a little more work, it can also heat water for showers.
Nick

And I assume you're aware that methanol has about 60% the energy content per gallon of gasoline? Factor that in, add about 40 cents a gallon in tax, and Methanol as a fuel only starts to make sense at prices equal to today's gas price. Like ethanol, it could help lessen our dependence on oil, but it's not a cheap, quick fix. Also, methanol is highly toxic, which is one big reason the focus has been on ethanol.