Convert fluorescent shop light to grow light?

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:34:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Leaves? He missed the basic concept ... but I guess the cops took all the good buds.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:34:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I worked a prison that had a Vo-Tec horticultural class. Staff found a leafy pot plant and confiscated it, and put it in a window in the supervisors office.
Went to work one day and somebody had stripped the leaves off. Maybe they got selfish, and never let the buds grow out. At least they could have thrown out the stalk and container. Nobody arrested!

If it was a male it probably didn't matter.

Yeah. Can't depend on a prisoner, even when you need to.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You will probably lose the civil suit.
The police lab, and a confirming analysis by the state narcotics bureau, will confirm that the submitted substance was high-grade Marijuana, formerly found only in the high Andes and represents a significant threat to the youth of the community.
On 11/1/2010 10:18 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Yea, there was one crime lab run by an Affirmative Action scientist who would give law enforcement whatever analysis they wanted. I think the news story I watched about the whole cluster coitus told of people being sent to death row based on the manufactured test results. Amazing how many innocent people were hurt. A lot of stuff had to be redone at great expense. I'm trying to remember if it happened in North or South Carolina.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There's a presumption on your part that "innocent" people were hurt. The fact is, people go to jail, not for what they did but for what can be proven. Often what was done cannot be proven and what was proven was not what they did.
It is not an exaggeration that our prisons are full of "innocent" convicts. At least that's their story.
On 11/1/2010 4:24 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I know what malicious prosecution is and the importance of getting the right lawyer. I experienced it and the only person in my case to wind up in prison was the arrogant little creep who was the prosecutor. I discovered in person that law enforcement doesn't want to admit they're wrong and prosecutors will refuse to admit they're wrong in order to CYA. You can't sue them so the only thing to do is go to a much more powerful group with more and bigger guns to criminally prosecute them. If the little law man lies to the bigger law man, the little law man goes to prison. Of course any law man can lie to us lowly peasants.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The rule I quoted originated with Alan Dershowitz. Another of his rules is: "In virtually all criminal prosecutions, the defendant is, in fact, guilty."
I'm glad you were able to skin the system and get off (even if you were guilty).
On 11/2/2010 6:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:

If they didn't know it was all a lie to start with, they knew it later and refused to take any action until I went to the FBI with it. It's amazing how the FBI can stir things up and get them to pay attention.
TDD
On 11/1/2010 4:24 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I'd use whatever you've got. There's not enough difference between the grow-tubes and standard tubes to justify the increased expense for a noncommercial operation. And I say that after running a greenhouse for nearly a decade.
The length of time the lights are on will have more effect than the type of tube or fixture used, as will the distance of the lights from the tops of the plants. Get the lights as close to the plants as you can (preferably around four inches), since light intensity drops off dramatically with distance. Hang them on chains or some other way to move them up and down as needed.

Or hang a shelf under the lights that you can move up and down.
On 11/2/2010 2:29 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Better yet, an active motor driven cable system to raise and lower the grow light in response to changes in light levels. 8-)
TDD

Why not get more elegant? (elegant in the technical engineering sense)
Set it up with on cantilevered linkage system such that the increasing weight of the plants as they grow lowers them. No power needed, no need for computer control
On 11/5/2010 9:26 PM, TimR wrote:

But that's no fun! I want a Rube Goldberg solution! :-)
http://www.rubegoldberg.com /
TDD
-snip-

Just water very-very carefully.
I pint of water is a pound-- how long does it take for a plant to add on a pound of foliage?
Jim
This fixture is quite the PITA. It is really heavy and the ceiling is high. To get it down I need to stand on the counter and to do that I need to clear all the junk off the counter and to do that I need to organize some other area for it and... I still haven't got it down so do not know what kind of ballast it has in there. The noise it makes is so annoying, something must be wrong.
Did I mention the bulbs are F48T12? That's an odd formula, apparently only made by Sylvannia and long discontinued.
    Una
On Nov 5, 10:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

Probably you know this, but the 48 means 48 watts. (not inches) And the T12 means 12/8 of an inch diameter, or 1.25 inches.
You can get them from Amazon among other places but they're a bit expensive.

You should be able to just change the tubes and grow. I currently use the same fixtures that I formerly used as grow lights in my shop. All I changed was the bulbs.
Now keep in mind that this was for starting garden seedlings. If you want to grow something you can smoke you may need something different.
--
Colbyt