Convert bathroom into pantry?

Page 1 of 2

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However, I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My question: would this lower the value of our home?
We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert the bath back if they wanted it.

If the next owner is into cooking, the pantry could be a great asset. My only caveat would be this: Do you ever use that bathroom when you have messy shoes on, maybe from yard work, and don't want to march through the rest of the house to one of the other bathrooms?
i think it would lower homes value, if you do it at least leave the plumbing in place take photos of open walls etc so the next owner can put it back easily.
how long are you planning on living there? if its forever do what makes you happy. if its move in 5 years do whats better for homes value
you might check with a local realtor, if all the nearby homes have this bath removing it could make it hard to sell
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Around 5 years. And I can even convert it back if we decide to sell. I do plan to leave and document existing plumbing for this event.

i think it would lower homes value, if you do it at least leave the plumbing in place take photos of open walls etc so the next owner can put it back easily.
how long are you planning on living there? if its forever do what makes you happy. if its move in 5 years do whats better for homes value
you might check with a local realtor, if all the nearby homes have this bath removing it could make it hard to sell
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No. It's really in the middle of the house, so another bathroom is just as close.

I don't believe in doing things for "the next owner" . Whose house is it anyway? It's kind of like putting seat covers on nice velour seats in a car, who are we saving them for??? I say if a pantry is what YOU need, then by all means go for it.
--
Steve Barker

"TC" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anyway, big pantries on the main floor are cool, and a good idea, especially if the only other option for storing some food is in the basement, which may not be the best environment.

Steve Barker wrote:

You guys are right of course, screw the resale, live in your own damn house.
One suggestion, put some police tape across the bathroom door for a month and see how you like walking.

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC 210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small appliance" circuit.

Because of the presence of plumbing nearby?

Not if it is a pantry, it is just shelves and one light. There will be no appliances or work area.

210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, PANTRY, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all receptacle outlets
You could probably get away with this if you call it a closet so be careful with what you say on the plan ... or listing. This is the kind of thing home inspectors or electrical inspector point out.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I've seen pictures of creative storage built in between the studs. I could find a lot of wasted space...but a half bath for guests seems more valuable to me rather than just a simple pantry. I would look at other options for pantry style storage before I ripped a half bath out.
In a pantry?
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message

Yeah what he said. Why would you need ANY recepticles in a pantry?
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:15:31 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Certainly he could blank off any non-conformimg receptacles while he is capping the pliumbing. ... or just ignore the code. Don't shoot the messenger

No, not intended to start a scrap here.
If I was converting a bathroom to a closet or pantry, I'd pull the wiring. I figure that capping it off would work, but it would be capped off for decades where-as the wiring could be used someone else - so might as well pull it and re-deploy somewhere else.

If you're planning to move soon and are also needing to count on maximizing the return on the sale of your house, I'd consult with a real estate agent - it all depends on how houses like yours are usually set up in your area, and the specifics of the bathroom placements.
But, if not (and even if so - you'll still have two full baths!), I'm with the folks who say houses are for the living, and if a pantry is the way the space is the most useful to you (sounds like it), do it. Enjoy.
Cheers, Banty

One story or two?