Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v, I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has only a gas hookup?
On 03/10/2014 05:44 PM, lorie wrote:

You'd need a whole new circuit and your power box probably could not handle it. You would need to hire an electrician and in a mobile home it might not be possible at all.
Sell your electric drier and buy a gas one. Possibly a used appliance store could work out some kind of a trade.

Likely cheaper both short and long turm to buy a gas dryer. Espically if you have a natural gas feed.
On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:12:55 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:

Very possible that it would be more feasible to buy a gas dryer. But it depends on if it's nat gas, propane, cost of the fuels, etc You can't just convert a 120V outlet to 240V. It not only needs to be 240V, it also needs wiring that will support the much higher amps for the electric dryer. How much that cost depends on where the circuit panel is relative to dryer, if the panel can support the additional amps, if there is space for another breaker, etc. Best case is the service supports it, the panel has an available slot, and it's located near the dryer. Then it might only be a couple hundred bucks to get an electrician. Worst case, it could easily be 5X that.
On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:49:45 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

ssage

10v,

if

You need both 110 and 220 to run an electric dryer, 110 for the motor to tu rn the drum and 220 for the heating coils. Just having a 2-prong 220 volt w on't do the job, you need a 3-prong outlet to send the proper voltage where it's needed.
You could, in theory, convert a 110 volt outlet to 220 volts by moving the white ground wire from the ground buss in the box to the other hot line, gi ving you 220 volts, but then you run into all the other objections with amp s, watts, wire gauge, etc. Not a good idea, because if someone unknowingly plugs the vacuum cleaner into this converted outlet, it will probably burn out. Or up.
Paul
On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44:01 PM UTC-5, lorie wrote:

A transformer should be able to do it, if your electric supply can stand twice the current at 110v that the dryer requires at 220v. I don't expect that it can it a mobile home, though. See your local electrician for details.
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:52:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, a 120v 60 amp circuit and an 8 KVA transformer?
Yeah right.
[snip]

That transformer will be less than 100% efficient, so you'll need more than 60A. Also, will you need #4 wire?
On 03/10/2014 08:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

NO!!

Work out the numbersto see the folly in trying to supply power to your dryer:
most 110 outlets are 15A, some now at 20 A, total power = 1725W to 2300W
The 'equivalent current for THAT supply at 220 is 7.5A to 10A
Now does your dryer run on 10A, well, yes, run, but NOT dry.
Work the other way 220 at 30A means 60A at 110V, hmmmm 60A guess you could use welder's cabling, right?
About the transformer, you'd be surprised how 'light' the transformer can be using a 110 to 110 it only needs to be rated at 110V and what you're supplying at 220, or in this case 4kVA. Why? draw it out, you'll see.
On 03/11/2014 09:21 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

The completely insane idea of thinking one could run a drier from a 115- 230 transformer reminds me of a construction project I saw in a 1948(?) Popular Mechanics.
Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

The problem is that you all never read enough Popular Mechanics.
What the OP should do is get a plug-in transformer, meant for a toy or radio or something, AC output, and get a 6 to 220 volt transformer. That way it will use less current, because those little transformers only use an amp or two. All of you have been brainwashed by the electxric company, which claims you need 60 amps for a dryer. One amp is plenty.
On 03/12/2014 02:36 AM, micky wrote:

No no no....Those one amp transformers cannot run an electric drier but if you have a long enough extension cord, can power those futuristic flying cars.
On 3/12/2014 3:36 AM, micky wrote:

You know, Jimmy Carter would be proud. You're saving energy.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/10/2014 09:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You prolly need a 2-phase transformer cuz traitor4 says 240v is 2-phase.
On 3/12/2014 4:48 AM, Jacque Dubois wrote:

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works OK now, also.
Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and techies, I'd think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/12/14 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border. Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a proper name.
On 3/12/2014 6:50 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I hate those spelling corrections. That Hertz.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:50:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?
On 03/12/2014 09:43 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

yes, 57 different varieties.