Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer

Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v, I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has only a gas hookup?

Reply to
lorie

You'd need a whole new circuit and your power box probably could not handle it. You would need to hire an electrician and in a mobile home it might not be possible at all.

Sell your electric drier and buy a gas one. Possibly a used appliance store could work out some kind of a trade.

Reply to
philo

Likely cheaper both short and long turm to buy a gas dryer. Espically if you have a natural gas feed.

Reply to
NotMe

Very possible that it would be more feasible to buy a gas dryer. But it depends on if it's nat gas, propane, cost of the fuels, etc You can't just convert a 120V outlet to 240V. It not only needs to be 240V, it also needs wiring that will support the much higher amps for the electric dryer. How much that cost depends on where the circuit panel is relative to dryer, if the panel can support the additional amps, if there is space for another breaker, etc. Best case is the service supports it, the panel has an available slot, and it's located near the dryer. Then it might only be a couple hundred bucks to get an electrician. Worst case, it could easily be 5X that.

Reply to
trader4

A transformer should be able to do it, if your electric supply can stand twice the current at 110v that the dryer requires at 220v. I don't expect that it can it a mobile home, though. See your local electrician for details.

Reply to
robertmilesxyz

Hmmm, a 120v 60 amp circuit and an 8 KVA transformer?

Yeah right.

Reply to
gfretwell

NO!!

Reply to
philo

Work out the numbersto see the folly in trying to supply power to your dryer:

most 110 outlets are 15A, some now at 20 A, total power = 1725W to 2300W

The 'equivalent current for THAT supply at 220 is 7.5A to 10A

Now does your dryer run on 10A, well, yes, run, but NOT dry.

Work the other way

220 at 30A means 60A at 110V, hmmmm 60A guess you could use welder's cabling, right?

About the transformer, you'd be surprised how 'light' the transformer can be using a 110 to 110 it only needs to be rated at 110V and what you're supplying at 220, or in this case 4kVA. Why? draw it out, you'll see.

Reply to
RobertMacy

The completely insane idea of thinking one could run a drier from a 115-

230 transformer reminds me of a construction project I saw in a 1948(?) Popular Mechanics.

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

Reply to
philo
[snip]

That transformer will be less than 100% efficient, so you'll need more than 60A. Also, will you need #4 wire?

Reply to
sam E

Ignore all the wacky suggestions of a transformer. Short answer, you can't "convert". You need a 240v 30amp circuit and outlet installed. New wire from the circuit breaker box to the location. Probably not terribly diffic ult if you can get under the mobile home.

Reply to
jamesgang

In a mobile home, it might be easier to get the power from the power pole outside. Usually a mobile home space has the service disconnect and meter if present there. You may have a spare breaker slot in that meter/main or you can find an electrician who understands feeder taps. This won't be a handyman.

Reply to
gfretwell

n't "convert". You need a 240v 30amp circuit and outlet installed. New wi re from the circuit breaker box to the location. Probably not terribly dif ficult if you can get under the mobile home.

I'd shy away from that. I think doing that turns the main panel into a sub and you'd have to go into it and separate the ground and neutral. Running wire under a mobile home is fairly easy.

Reply to
jamesgang

The problem is that you all never read enough Popular Mechanics.

What the OP should do is get a plug-in transformer, meant for a toy or radio or something, AC output, and get a 6 to 220 volt transformer. That way it will use less current, because those little transformers only use an amp or two. All of you have been brainwashed by the electxric company, which claims you need 60 amps for a dryer. One amp is plenty.

Reply to
micky

I haven't read these closely and wouldn't know if they were wrong even if I did.

There are more

micky

You prolly need a 2-phase transformer cuz traitor4 says 240v is 2-phase.

Reply to
Jacque Dubois

No no no....Those one amp transformers cannot run an electric drier but if you have a long enough extension cord, can power those futuristic flying cars.

Reply to
philo

You know, Jimmy Carter would be proud. You're saving energy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and techies, I'd think.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ssage

You need both 110 and 220 to run an electric dryer, 110 for the motor to tu rn the drum and 220 for the heating coils. Just having a 2-prong 220 volt w on't do the job, you need a 3-prong outlet to send the proper voltage where it's needed.

You could, in theory, convert a 110 volt outlet to 220 volts by moving the white ground wire from the ground buss in the box to the other hot line, gi ving you 220 volts, but then you run into all the other objections with amp s, watts, wire gauge, etc. Not a good idea, because if someone unknowingly plugs the vacuum cleaner into this converted outlet, it will probably burn out. Or up.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314