Controlling a second outlet remotely from a switch?

HUH??? You talk about wanting a "relatively low tech" solution, and THEN you start discussing transmitters and receivers??

David

Aprotim Sanyal wrote:

Reply to
David

ROFL! That's what I thought too :>

An extension cord for the second lamp, plugged into the switched socket seems like a suitably low-tech solution although I suppose it would depend on the configuration of the living room.

Curly Sue

:) I HAD to re-read his post a couple of times to be sure I didn't mis-understand...glad to see I'm not the only one to point out the incongruousness of his post! He thinks that X-10 is "high tech" and transmitters and receivers are NOT?? What's wrong with this picture?

David

Curly Sue wrote:

Reply to
David
Reply to
Aprotim Sanyal
Reply to
Aprotim Sanyal

Even lower tech (and the way it's done at my place): The upper slot in all the outlets in a room are switched (via a unique switch), while the lower slots are unswitched. This is done in my dining room and living room, where I have several floor/table lamps. I love it like this.

Reply to
jstp

What's wrong with the X-10? It's low tech compared with what you're proposing. We've got them on several circuits; easy to set up and have been working well for nearly 10 years.

Reply to
Martin
Reply to
Aprotim Sanyal
Reply to
Aprotim Sanyal

if you guys think a remote controlled outlet is high tech, you need to get out more. or maybe you cant start that newfangled automobile thingy

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Basically there is no "low-tech" easy way to do this. The easiest "low-tech" way would be to get two of the x-10 swithed outlets(or lamp modules), and configure them to the same house code and unit code, that way they would turn on and off at the same time. A cool way, would be to get a power current sensor and a power controller that would switch on/off power based on the current sensor.

Reply to
rednelb

Radio Shacks units are made by X10

Reply to
m Ransley

Depending what is below your living room, is it possible to wire the two outlets together?

Reply to
Alan

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment which is essentially a very well done-up cement block. Below me is another apartment, and the walls, floor, and ceiling are all cement, albeint covered with hardwood, paint and stucco, respectively.

-A

Alan wrote:

Reply to
Aprotim Sanyal

I may be late in replying. The low tech version is a 15 foot, $2 extension cord sold everywhere.

Reply to
Colbyt