Controlling a second outlet remotely from a switch?

HUH??? You talk about wanting a "relatively low tech" solution, and THEN you start discussing transmitters and receivers??
David
Aprotim Sanyal wrote:

ROFL! That's what I thought too :>
An extension cord for the second lamp, plugged into the switched socket seems like a suitably low-tech solution although I suppose it would depend on the configuration of the living room.

:) I HAD to re-read his post a couple of times to be sure I didn't mis-understand...glad to see I'm not the only one to point out the incongruousness of his post! He thinks that X-10 is "high tech" and transmitters and receivers are NOT?? What's wrong with this picture?
David
Curly Sue wrote:

Even lower tech (and the way it's done at my place): The upper slot in all the outlets in a room are switched (via a unique switch), while the lower slots are unswitched. This is done in my dining room and living room, where I have several floor/table lamps. I love it like this.

my
other
I may be late in replying. The low tech version is a 15 foot, $2 extension cord sold everywhere.
if you guys think a remote controlled outlet is high tech, you need to get out more. or maybe you cant start that newfangled automobile thingy <g>
randy

Radio Shack sells a unit that plugs into a hot outlet. Appliance(s) plugs into the unit. A transmitter similar to a car remote, with an off and on button, activates the appliance. In your case, keep the switch on at all times, plug both lamps into the Unit and then turn them on by using the small transmitter. I use it for one light and it works just fine; what makes it more useful is that you can turn on the lamps from any reasonable distance. MLD

What's wrong with the X-10? It's low tech compared with what you're proposing. We've got them on several circuits; easy to set up and have been working well for nearly 10 years.

Basically there is no "low-tech" easy way to do this. The easiest "low-tech" way would be to get two of the x-10 swithed outlets(or lamp modules), and configure them to the same house code and unit code, that way they would turn on and off at the same time. A cool way, would be to get a power current sensor and a power controller that would switch on/off power based on the current sensor.

Radio Shacks units are made by X10
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:08:00 -0400, Aprotim Sanyal

Depending what is below your living room, is it possible to wire the two outlets together?
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment which is essentially a very well done-up cement block. Below me is another apartment, and the walls, floor, and ceiling are all cement, albeint covered with hardwood, paint and stucco, respectively.
-A