control boards in modern appliances

Page 4 of 4

Electronics many generations ago were required to withstand 600 volts transients without damage. Your damage is the 'canary in the coalmine'. Nobody should have such transients. And such transients are routinely averted when protector is earthed where wires enter the building.
Well you had numerous small (but destructive) transients. What will happen when the big one comes? Serious surges occur typically once every seven years. Your 'dead' canary is reporting insufficient protection. Others have said how easily protection is installed - at about $1 per protected appliance. All appliances contain serious protection. Due to insufficient protection at the service entrance, you have transients that have overwhelmed that existing protection. Listen to the dead canary.
westom wrote:

Listen to the dead canary?

westom formerly posted for many years as w_tom. He's a grade-A usenet nutball who only posts about surge suppressors. Sometimes his advice is "a little off", and sometimes it is potentially fatal. Believe anything he tells you at your own peril.
My dead canary sings opera. It's a real tweat to hear. Even the transients like to come and loiter outside my window. I put up a "no loitering" sign, and now they just stand around.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/22/2010 4:09 AM, bpuharic wrote:

You just answered your own question. Repair men need control boards in such devices.

Time to put the arc welder on it's own circuit.