contractor sends a bill 7 months later

Page 1 of 2

Last summer, a local roofing company, did a job for my extended family. They proceeded on the job, after submitting a signed contract and had appropriate city permits filed.
Half of the contract amount was paid before the start of the job and the agreement was to pay the balance upon completion and passing inspection.
End of July, 2009 the final payment was made and contractor sent an invoice dated 7/31/2009 showing zero (0) balance and a large stamped text PAID (stamped sideways) over the body of the invoice.
Now fast forward to January 27, 2010 as contractor sends a new Certified US Mail with another invoice claiming "Serious Past Due Account" and they show a balance of few hundred on this invoice which is also dated 7/31/2009. This new invoice shows a new item being added to the original invoice with the resulting new balance.
This latest invoice was never presented to the family and has never surfaced until now, 7 months later.
(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous Zero Balance invoice? (2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?
ria wrote: ...

You're asking the wrong folks...

Post your question on:
http://groups.google.com.ng/group/misc.legal.moderated/topics
Someone there is bound to have something to say pertinent to your question.

http://groups.google.com.ng/group/misc.legal.moderated/topics
Probably tell you to use common sense and contact the contractor telling them you have proof of "payment in full", instead of trying to get "free" so-called legal advice from Usenet.

What is his"new " item billed 200$ for. You know if its legit and he did extra work, if he did pay him he is doing book keeping now since he cant do roofing its to cold out. If its bs dont pay, if it isnt pay.

To timid to pick up the phone and call to find out ???Sheesh....
contractor sends a bill 7 months later:

Try news:misc.legal.moderated

*Over here in this part of the country we have some of those new contraptions called telephones. If you send me the information I could call the company and ask them.

They just want to see if they can get out of paying because its 7 months late. They know what the legitimate bill is for
ria wrote:

You had a contract for a specfied sum. You paid it and have an statement from the contractor acknowledging so. Did you sign a change order during the course of the job? If so, pay it; if not, send the bill back to the contractor along with a copy of the "PAID" statement and a note saying you have already paid.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote Re Re: contractor sends a bill 7 months later:

Good advice.

It's not advice. It is the legal answer to the question.
Steve

Sheesh, like only the contractor could mark "PAID" across an invoice. Proof of payment is the only way to show proof of payment.
ria wrote:

The contractor apparently doesn't know the difference between an invoice and a statement;-)
In any event, tell the responsible party to pick up the phone and call they guy. You sound like you're cranking up for a big time legal fight when the problem most likely can be easily resolved with the contractor updating his records...

A legitimate charge for product or services received that was not paid for previously.

It's time to report to the IRS. They came up short. They discovered that they forgot to bill you for something.
Obviously, the charge is legitimate or your post would have been worded much differently. I would have expected something like:
"I paid the roofers back in June and now I'm getting this bill with a bogus charge for $700 worth of masking tape and animal crackers!"
Instead, you make no mention of what the charge is for.
Admit it; it's something the roofers provided, but wasn't on the original bill. You caught the mistake, but kept your mouth closed figuring you'd get something for nothing.
The stand-up honest American thing to do here is PAY THE BILL.
However, I would call them and express my concern and displeasure over the heavy-handed use of the PAST DUE stamp on the bill... how this is the first time I've heard from them in 7 months, and how an oversight on their part should not result in a black mark on my credit rating.
On Jan 29, 9:52am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

re: "The stand-up honest American thing to do here is PAY THE BILL."
I agree with everything you've said, except for the wording. How is the use of the word "American" relevant to that statement?
DerbyDad03, If you don't know, we could never adequately explain it to you.
James ------------------------------
re: "The stand-up honest American thing to do here is PAY THE BILL."
I agree with everything you've said, except for the wording. How is the use of the word "American" relevant to that statement?

Oh, I get it! Americans have cornered the market on stand-up honesty.
Paying the bill wouldn't be the stand-up honest German thing to do or the stand-up honest Dutch thing to do or the stand-up honest English thing to do or the stand-up honest Armenian thing to do or the stand- up honest French thing to do or the stand-up honest Italian thing to do or the stand-up honest South African thing to do or the stand-up honest (insert your choice of a dishonest nationality here) thing to do.
I guess it wasn't sufficient to simply say that paying the bill would be the stand-up honest thing to do - period.
Me thinks you best take your medicines again this week, DerbyDad03!!!! You must be one of Obama's Hate America First fans !!!!
James
Oh, I get it! Americans have cornered the market on stand-up honesty.

It's just an expression Americans use in the US. Geesh! When in the US, expect to hear US expressions. I'm an American. You think I'm all pansy- ass ofeeeeeeeeended from my heritage side? That would be jack-assed. If I were in the Netherlands and a Dutch expression was used I should start whining about it? They must think we're heathens here trashing Christmas. None of Sinterklaas' sidekicks are black like Zwarte Piet. Maybe they should make a stink about it at a UN meeting.
Maybe the expression American Pie should be changed to just Pie or US Pie?
[hot button off]