Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

Page 3 of 3

Normally, there is a top plate (think sideways stud) along the top of a wall, so you can land a nail anywhere along the path of the trim molding and hit wood

As others have pointed out there is a real threat here that a fire could be started from a nicked wire. I think however the contractors responsibility ends on informing the owner as he could not reasonably expected a wire in that location,
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:

It's your life, what do you think? If it was me, I'd have a small section removed and be 100% sure. And I'd call the contractor back and ask if he would do it. He obviously isn't very good, or he would have fixed his own mistake already.
Steve

As others have said, I don't see in any way that the contractor is responsible to fix his "mistake". What exactly is the mistake he is supposed to have made? Unless he used an extaordinarily long nail, he isn't liable for wiring that was run too close to the surface without a plate to protect it.
He clearly should have told the homeowner that it should be inspected and fixed. But that is the homeowner's problem and expense. Plus, last time I checked, a carpenter is licensed to do electrical work.

As others have said, I don't see in any way that the contractor is responsible to fix his "mistake". What exactly is the mistake he is supposed to have made? Unless he used an extaordinarily long nail, he isn't liable for wiring that was run too close to the surface without a plate to protect it.
He clearly should have told the homeowner that it should be inspected and fixed. But that is the homeowner's problem and expense. Plus, last time I checked, a carpenter is licensed to do electrical work.
Who said anything about a "contractor" ???..The OP said he had "a guy come over to help put up some moulding." Hardly sounds like a contractor..IMHO... If the OP feels it should be checked he should do it or call an electrician....I'm gonna have a "guy" (my dad) come over and help me reframe 3 window openings and install new windows...If something goes wrong , I should hold him accountable ?? LOL.....

What the contractor should have done is stop work and have you call in an electrician to see what was going on. It is not his fault the wire was there. You would be stuck with the electricians bill and delays caused to carpenter unless you can find someone else to blame it on. If your house burns down on account of it he is still not responsible because he is not an electrician and he let you know about the problem and now it is documented that you were aware and concerned but did nothing so far.
Jimmie. .

What the contractor should have done is stop work and have you call in an electrician to see what was going on. It is not his fault the wire was there. You would be stuck with the electricians bill and delays caused to carpenter unless you can find someone else to blame it on. If your house burns down on account of it he is still not responsible because he is not an electrician and he let you know about the problem and now it is documented that you were aware and concerned but did nothing so far.
Jimmie. .
========= I "think"....but could be completely wrong....When the contractor said "Don't worry about it." he left himself open to potential liability.
As far a documented....He didn't say anything about documentation....unless you're talking about this.
Regardless, if it were me, I'd find another contractor.
Shaffer wrote:

Did the nail look clean, no serious sign of burn or spark?

First off the nail made electrical contact between the hot conductor and the neutral or some sort of ground. We know this because the breaker blew.
There is no easy way to determine the damage to the conductor with out inspecting it, and a very great risk of fire for not inspecting for damage.
A no brainer. Fix it.
--

Roger Shoaf

Shaffer wrote:

would be so close to the surface as to get hit by a trim nail.