contract with roofer

I'm having a rubberized roof installed on a 2 car garage at a cost of $1900 and the roofer wants to install it over the rolled roofing,is this a good idea and should I have a contract with this roofer stating warranty?

Reply to
drazenv

I don't have any idea about rubber over rolled, but you should absolutely have a written contract and warranty and also make sure he is licensed - don't take his word for it. Also check with the state to see if there are any complaints against him.

Reply to
CM

You can put it over a flat roof without gravel and no rot, but your roof is leaking, right, for how long and how bad, How old is roof and garage because rotted wood is likely there that needs to be replaced unless you can see from underneath all wood is sound, and it can be found from above by pounding areas. 1900 for a regular 25x 25 garage may be a bit much, you need a contract and what grade of rubber roof and wood repair, clean up and all that is included. A contractor bid mine with the better quality rubber, he had it in front of his truck, I went on the roof and he snuck up the cheap stuff from the other side and was roofing without replacing the rot he agreeed to. I took his roofing and threw it off, I picked up his 5ft breaker bar and knocked holes through all the rot, he was very pissed, but he was a crook as so many are, but it got done. Does he have insurance, you have to talk to his broker to know, a cert can be faked. Likely he will be out of business before you need the warranty, your best warranty is have someone else you trust oversee his work. Like removing rot and bad areas and using what he specified etc etc. A few minor leaks can be fixed with a bucket of roof cement till you figure it all out. Go with someone with a good reputation.

Reply to
ransley

EPDM rubber roofing should be glued down to fiber board underlayment. If the old roof is sound, he could probably install the underlayment over rolled roofing. A written contract that spells out your expectations is always a good idea.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake