Continuous power strip

Hi,
Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip. It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere? What would they be called?
Thanks,
Sam

I don't have a source, but I'm curious as to why you would want one.
You can get 4' strips with 12 outlets like this:
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-36-multi-outlet-strips/workshop-12-outlet-power-strip-652995.aspx
Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?
I'm just curious, that's all.
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would look very inconspicuous.
Sam

OK, gotta ask...
Why would a continuous strip be any more inconspicuous than an outlet strip?
Wouldn't it still have plugs plugged into it? I would think that that would pretty much give it away.
Yes, I can see how it would might be more inconspicuous when unused. Are you building the piece for sale?

They used to be very common. I still have one. My guess is that they no longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be plugged in the wrong way.
--
Peace,
BobJ

You mean that one continuous strip isn't wider than the other continuous strip? ;-)
Marilyn & Bob wrote:

They also make it exceptionally easy for children to stick metallic items in the long slots and electrocute themselves.

Agreed, safety issues have made them uncommon. I used to have one. I can see how it would be a lot easier to hide than a conventional strip with 3 prong outlets.

I used to have one also, it took 3 prong grounded receptacles so I don't see any problem with polarized plugs. Problems I saw with them was the live metal strip was easily contacted if one allowed metal to drop into the channel, and receptacles were easily pulled out of the strip if you were removing a tightly fitting plug.
Sam Takoy wrote:

I used to have those in my workshop.
As others have said, they are probably no longer available due to lack of polarization (like that makes a big freakin' difference on a soldering iron). Plus there is no provision for the ground plug.
I, too, have visited the desirability of hiding unsightly outlets. A couple of tricks I've used include:
* Mounting a power strip under the item's ledge and increasing the apparent thickness of the ledge to hide it. * Hiding an outlet with a flip-up cover that matched the environment.
Just for fun, you might try making your own - a length of Nylon bar, some brass door insulation strips, a little time with a router...

Since you could point to this item in use, we guess a lighting store would be able to tell you what it is still called and whether it is still on the market.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

Uh, at a lighting store, it was probably on their demo rack where they plug in lots of lights at once. I never thought to look- are the powered tracks for track lighting the same spacing as wall outlets?
--
aem sends...

Sam, look at WireMold non metallic raceway. It allows voltage and low volt and lets you place terminals where you want. Not quite what you are looking for, but may work for you.
Panduit also makes similar.
--
DanG