Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better?

Page 2 of 2
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:59:38 -0500, dpb

Yeah, I couldn't tell what you were talking about until I read several posts.
So the oven door latches like a microwave door latches? And you can run the microwaves at the same time you're broiling a steak, or baking a cake? And they get microwaved too?
On 8/15/2015 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

This week, a couple folks tried the self cleaning feature on my church's electric range and oven. The clouds of smoke set off the smoke detector.
I'm on the call list for when the alarm comes in. The alarm company calls me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

LOL.
Well, I managed to poke a hole in one of the disposeable broiling trays, without noticign it, and now there a big puddle of grease in the bottom of my oven.
Should I just let the self-cleaning thng burn it away, or should I try to spoon it out?
On 8/15/2015 8:26 PM, micky wrote:

1) call fire department, and report oven fire. 2) use self cleaning function. 3) Stand by the street and point to the smoke column.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Bernz O' Matic
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Continuous clean is a marketing joke. By putting a porous surface inside the oven and hoping that cooking spills will eventually go away makes an oven even harder to keep clean.
-snip-

Never had a 'continuous clean'- but back in the 70's during my short life as an appliance salesman we used to refer to them as 'continuous dirty'. Is yours an old one or are they still not ready for prime time.
[I'm with you- I love the self cleaning. *That* was a good idea.] Jim

My mother built a house with the built in continous cleaning oven and never was happy with it. She had a stove that was about 20 years old from the old house that she kep in the basement for canning. After a few years the old stove looked cleaner than the new oven. Mother was very particular about her stove being clean and hated the new oven.
My wife and I have always had the ovens you turn on the super heat and burn off the grease and they look much cleaner than the other ovens we have seen.
Comsumer reports give about the same report as you did. Most are just not happy witht he continuous cleaning ovens.
self cleaning costs more but pays for itself overtime. ours is 11 years old and still works fantastic. i ran it on clean just a few days ago
*************************** We clean our more in the winter when the heat is helping keep the house warm and avoid doing so in the summer.
Holly had written this in response to http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Continual-cleaning-v-s-Self-Cleaning-oven-Which-is-better-295202-.htm : Hi!
A week ago Friday, my Sears Kenmore Continuous Self Cleaning Oven caught on fire. It has worked faithfully for me ever since it was new 17 years ago. My teenagers had cooked some pizzas the night before and a piece of sausage fell to the bottom of the oven. It flamed up right by the leg that held up the heating filament. The little leg had melted enough to allow the burner to touch the bottom of the oven and I hadn't noticed it, and they hadn't told me about the sausage. Long story short, when I put a slow cooking roast in the next morning, by mid-day the burner had caught fire and had gone far enough to render the oven useless due to the fact of its age and the cost of replacing the part. The fire started because it was touching the bottom of the oven in the place where the sausage had burned and where the leg had melted down! It was not the fault of the oven. I loved my oven. It was always clean.
All these years, all I have ever had to do is sometimes either sweep or vacuum out the dust. That oven NEVER failed me.
All ovens require a certain amount of care when cooking so that foods don't splatter and spill etc. while cooking. Most people who have really dirty ovens do a lot of messy cooking that could be avoided if they would use pans large enough to catch spits and pops.
If you do have a spill, or a cheesy mess, swab out the mess before it gets baked on. If it gets baked on then you'll have a smoky mess during the self clean cycle, and in a continuous clean oven, the smoke could affect the food.
I have also had ovens that required me to use oven cleaners and scouring pads. I would NEVER go back to that!
I now have purchased a new oven. It's a Maytag self cleaning oven with a glass range top. The self-clean option has three settings. BUT I have to set it to clean and have to remove the oven racks too. I think this will be more work in the long run, and I will miss my old oven for its no-muss no-fuss clean.
For me, the new Maytag's other points are what sold me. I love the size, the nice look with no oven filament showing in the bottom - it's embedded - and the oven cooks more evenly than my old one which required me to move pans and turn meats etc.
As for the continuous self-clean vs. self clean -- common sense applies to both ... don't get the oven SO dirty that it will smoke or flame. There really is a certain amount of preventive care that serves every cook well.
Cover meats, don't let foil touch the sides of the oven. Never let any food touch the sides of the oven. Clean out all large chunks of foods and debris as soon as you know its there. My teens should have put a catch plate under their pizza which they cooked on the rack. Never put the catch pans on the bottom of the oven, just put it on the bottom rack directly under the foods that might boil over or melt off...etc.
I hope this is helpful to you!
Best wishes, Holly
\\//. ------------------------------------- RC wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 282596 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Continual-cleaning-v-s-Self-Cleaning-oven-Which-is-better-295202-.htm
I have never known of a continuous clean oven that really worked, but the self cleaners do. However they do consumer energy and in the summer will heat up the kitchen.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Wow, how lazy can you get. Push a couple of buttons and take out the rack in under 30 seconds.
The rack don't have to come out, but if you leave them in they discolor a bit and don't slide as easily, but you can save 24 seconds every time you set up the cleaning cycle.
with such old microwave. put in a pitcher of water run it at full power, and check with a small fluroscent light bulb .........
if it lights you have a leak