Continiuing problem with ceiling fan

I posted the following last week:

Anyhow, I was able to isolate the circuit breaker to the fan (it also controls the lights). I went to Home Depot and bought a 3 speed fan switch which is the proper "fit" but the problem is that I'm having trouble attaching the wires to the switch. I have 2 wires attached but can't seem to secure the other 2 because they keep slipping out of their contact holes. I have stripped the wires somewhat but they just slip out. Can I use tape to secure them to the holes? I would even forego one of the fan speeds if I can bypass needing to make a connection but I don't want to electrocute my self either.
Here are how the wires are arranged to the switch (I used the same wire scheme as the defective switch which I am replacing)
L-Black 1-Grey 2-Brown 3-Purple
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sy
--
Please post and reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

No tape. No, no, no.
Is there some reason you can't call the manufacturer, order the right switch, and ask for advice about properly attaching the wires?
[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
I have the correct switch and the mfr. is in Taiwan. I'm able to get 2 of the wires attached but the other 2 don't "catch". Thanks for warning me about not using tape.

--
Please post and reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

I was referring to the hacks who build the fan: Hunter. Was the original switch a cob job, too?
I've made some progress!!!. I was able to attach those other 2 wires to the switch and now I have high, medium, low but no "off". When I "hold" the chain after "low" I can hear the motor stop, but as soon as I let it go it starts to run again.
Any advice?

--
Please post and reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

You have the wrong switch. Time to start over

One word: Casablanca. :-)
snip

If the wire is smaller in diameter than it needs to be then tin the ends with solder. If that won't work then solder in a heavier gauge wire. Make sure you use a piece of heat shrink tubing over the streamlined solder joint.
Go back to home depot and get another switch. Return the last one as defective. If I remember correctly, each wire should have an eighth inch or so stripped and then pushed into the proper slot/hole on the switch. But READ the instructions on the back of the new switch package. This is not brain surgery.
there is likely a 'strip gauge' right on the switch.
randy

It's a ridiculous way to wire a switch. Sounds like a good reason not to buy a Hunter fan.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

as you probably alread know is that the metal clips in the fan switch are just a small piece of spring metal that pinches the wire once you push it into the hole..... i use small jewelers screw drivers(dollar store type junk works fine) to push in the hole and then go back to the wire and twist it and then push it in the hole... this ought to work fine... last one i did the plastic switch broke after installing it ( the threaded piece that the chain comes out of.... tried again... finally gave up and just bought a new fan.. the old one was about 10 yrs. old at the time...