Contact Cement Question

Hello,
Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of it leaked out or migrated from the joint.
Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough. Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.
Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?
Thanks, Bob
On 01/15/2015 07:22 AM, Bob wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5664615_remove-contact-cement-once-cured.html
On 1/15/2015 8:33 AM, philo wrote:

Good advice but first check if paint is resistant to mineral spirits or acetone. One or both may damage it.
On 01/15/2015 08:01 AM, Frank wrote:

Yep
I'd probably just rough up the cement a bit and paint to match

Start with the solvent listed on the label. Most "contact cements" use acetone, but no rules govern what may be marketed as a contact cement.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Bob wrote:

Probably not. Acetone or MEK will work on the cement but either one tends to be a good paint stripper too.
Bob wrote:

We used a mixture of lacquer thinner and naphtha in the cabinet shop - but the LT will dissolve latex paints . Plain naphtha will soften the glue and it will ballup as you rub . Should be safe for the paint unless it's recently been painted with latex .
--
Snag

Paint thinner. Probably naptha (lighter fluid) too.
--

dadiOH