Construction Heater

For the first time ever I have a house with no heat and cold weather coming fast. I would love input from the group on the best type of temporary heat for a remodel in progress. Because of the stage (drywall just going up) I will be limited to kerosene or propane (20# tanks). I am interested in safety, operating cost and equipment cost in that order. Would any of them be acceptable (generally considered safe) to leave operating overnight with no supervision?

TIA

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

no, nor at any time, night or otherwise, and both put off toxic fumes harmful to humans which can be deadly in confined areas like the ones you mention (in a drywalled room)

also not safe unsupervised, overnight, or anytime, some rely on the newer technology catalytic propane heaters which don't burn but rather "crack" the propane, supposedly making it safe indoors with humans as to breathing, noting a slight smell may be detected due to odors purposefully put in propane so humans can smell it when it leaks, consult manufacturer of any specific heater as to proper use

maybe local fire department can help finalize ideas

Reply to
effi

I Work for a HVAC shop and we often put in shop heaters for temporary heat. The heaters I describe are the type like the Modine Hot Dawg or Reznor UDAP. just remove a window, cover it with plywood and run a vent trough it. 20# propane tanks will not get you far for that type of heat. You can only get a few hours of heat with the load you require. A propane supplier may set a tank near the house and run a rubber hose into run temp heat, ask them. A local HVAC shop may have a heater or furnace they would install for temp heat also. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Be careful with kerosene. It gasses and will put oily stuff on the walls and ceiling. The only kerosene heater that I am aware of that does not vents to the outside. It looks a lot like a window air conditioner, made by Kerosun. Not sure if they are even made any more.

Reply to
SQLit

Absolutely your best choice. The time you save working in a comfotable environment will more than pay off the cost of the heat system. Then have them install the temp outfit in your new agarage/workshop. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst