Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

That some incandescents available at Home Depot already meet.

Also, only certain incandescents are affected - there are many exceptions (colored, flood, spot, appliance, decorative, ones of brightness of "usual

25 watt ones and dimmer, ones brighter than the brighter 150 watt 750 hour ones, other exceptions).

Don Klipstein

Roughly half of all electricity generated and about 60 per cent of what is generated by electrical utilities.

Source:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Plenty of A19 lightbulbs 40-100 watts are USA-made. So are plenty of

4-foot fluorescents.

Don Klipstein

GE brand at Target.

Don Klipstein

Low voltage incandescents are not affected by the energy legislation.

Don Klipstein

Hi David:

These ones are rated to work down to -10F/-23C:

As I've indicated here several times before, the provisions related to incandescent lamps within the "Energy Independence and Security Act of

2007 (HR6)" are limited to "general service" only -- in other words, your standard A19 household lamp. The Act defines "general service" as: 1) having a medium (E27) screw-base; 2) a light output of between 310 and 2600 lumens; 3) an operating voltage of between 110 and130V; and 4) a standard or "modified" light spectrum (e.g.., GE's "Reveal").

Within this group, incandescent lamps that are specifically

**EXCLUDED** include the following:

appliance black light bug coloured infrared left-hand thread (used where lamps may be stolen) marine/marine signal mine service plant light reflector rough service / shatter-resistant / vibration service sign silver bowl showcase 3-way traffic signal G & T shape AB, BA, CA, F, G16-1/2, G-25, G30, S and M-14

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Hi Jim:

If it's an inexpensive shop light from a big box retailer (the ones with the notoriously crappy magnetic ballasts), replace it with a good quality T8 fixture.

Lithonia offers inexpensive T8 channel and wrap fixtures that operate down to 0F. You should be able to pick one up for about $20.00.

See:

For cold weather applications, stick with a standard 32-watt T8, as opposed to the 25, 28 or 30-watt energy savers -- GE, Osram Sylvania or Philips.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

When was the last one built? When will the next be built? IOW, another asinine argument from a leftist weenie.

Reply to
krw

Since you asked so nicely, according to the latest DOE report (February 18, 2008), as of September 20, 2007, there were 28 coal-fired power plants under construction (14,885 MW), 6 more nearing construction (1,859 MW) and 13 more that had received construction permits (6,422 MW). There were a further 67 plants (42,394 MW) that had been announced, but had not as of that time been issued permits.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Cold start CFL floods are available at 1000Bulbs.com

They also carry dimmable and decorative CFLs.

The upside to this government action is that you're going to see major improvements in incandescent technology in the coming years. GE and Sylvania aren't about to close up their light bulb business and say "oh well."

The immediate downside is that the CFL manufacturers are going to have to get their act together REAL fast. Their defective rate out-of-the-box is really bad. Plus, their actual versus projected life is, well, pure fiction. And even though the mercury is a fraction of what it costs to burn coal for the same lumen/life span, none of the numbers make sense if the bulbs don't actually last as long as the projections.

This is the price we pay when we change technologies--a shake out of the good from the bad.

As for ethanol in gas---it's an oxygenate to reduce pollution. It's in there to replace MTBE which is REALLY bad stuff. As soon as you come up with a less expensive alternative, lets us know. In the meantime, I'll choose less pollution over slightly increased cost (increased cost being a relative term--because if you count in the medical costs due to increased pollution, the ethanol is actually cheaper) any day of the week.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Paul M. Eldridge wrote: ...

And to round out the picture, last I looked about a month ago, there were 28 iirc formal filings for licensing docketing by the NRC thru next fiscal year and some 20 others projected for the next couple of years beyond...

--

Reply to
dpb

Not only is it not a ban, but this also is not a matter of constitutional law.

The people who are saying it's a ban, and/or crying infringement of constitutional rights are either just plain idiots, have reading comprehension problems, have an agenda, or some combination of the above.

Reply to
Abe

When you eventually buy a new car, new yard lights, or flashlights, they'll use LEDs. Manufacturers are already starting to switch over. You're stating a non-issue. Additionally, you'll still be able to get incandescents for those kind of utility needs. The efficiency law doesn't affect those types of bulbs. Go to the source and read for yourself.

Reply to
Abe

| The bill did _not_ "ban" incandescent bulbs, it set minimum efficiency | standards.

So you are saying that in 10 years, I can still buy incandescent bulbs for the few places I actually need them?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| Yes, plenty of enclosed CFLs work outside in the winter. If you live in | an area of extreme cold, there's always HID. A 39W metal halide lamp | produces much more light than a 150W incandescent, and lasts 6-10 times | as long. I use exclusively CFLs in all my outdoor fixtures, it only gets | down to about 15F at the lowest here, so the plain exposed spiral type | work fine. Since these are on from dusk till dawn, the savings are | substantial and I get 2+ years out of a bulb. Even the vilified mercury | vapor lamp so common in yard lights and street lighting of the past is | more than twice as efficient as incandescent.

But none of them produce the quality of light that incandescent does, which is needed is _some_ places.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Hi Rick,

All Energy Star CFLs must conform to that programme's performance standards governing a wide range of operating factors including service life and rated light output (e.g., if the manufacturer claims their product provides the same amount of light as a 100-watt incandescent, it must produce at least 1,600 lumens).

See:

In terms of Hg, a Philips 25-watt SLS25 CFL contains 2.64 mg of mercury. This lamp has a rated service life of 15,000 hours and produces 1,750 lumens or slightly more than a standard soft-white

100-watt incandescent at approximately 1,550 lumens.

Over the course of its 15,000 hour life, this CFL will consume a total of 375 kWh of electricity, whereas the equivalent 100-watt incandescent will use 1,500 kWh; a difference, in this case, of 1,125 kWh ($135.00's worth at $0.12 per kWh).

Based on the U.S. national average, our incandescent lamp would result in the additional release of 13.7 mg of Hg, as well as an additional

1,533 lbs of CO2, 6.11 lbs of SO2 and 2.37 lbs of NOx, plus other nasties such as As, Cr, Cd, Ni and Pb in various quantities.

A breakdown by state can be found here:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

| Within this group, incandescent lamps that are specifically | **EXCLUDED** include the following: | | appliance | black light

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

y yard

I use 6 cfl floods and and 8 regular cfls outside on sensors at -10f last winter, cfls light ok, but the floods are not good for 5 minute on sensors, I use HDs bulbs, if lights are to be left on they are fine, but the colder it gets the longer it takes to get bright, the enclosed floods are the worst, I have the regular cfls unshielded and all survived rain and snow.

Reply to
ransley

f you post to =A0|

ASAP. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

Incandesants will never go away they are cheap and are better in many aplications like above a stove, in a oven, frige, for lower than -15f, work lights , -15f exterior lights, and where instant on is needed, industry, and in the winter work lights. Actualy an Incandesant bulb is a heater that has a byproduct of 4-6% of very good light! The smart thing to do would be just tax them and give a big rebate to flourescents, and not wait till 2012

Reply to
ransley

Ive had maybe 1 or 2 failures with maybe 60 of HDs cfls, many are on photocell at near 2 years at down to -10f without a failure. I know they are made by maybe 20 plants in the far east so im sure alot of junk is made. HD does have a 9 year warranty.

Reply to
ransley