Connector ID please

Page 2 of 2
On 09/12/2013 03:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Oh, and searching for "powerpole winch" reveals that I wasn't smoking crack, they are apparently used for winch wiring as well. But for some reason I couldn't find it without knowing the name...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/12/2013 2:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I rebuild UPS units and take bad batteries to the recycler all the time. I'll never understand why people throw the units out when all they need are new batteries. I suppose it's good for me but the dummies still toss perfectly good equipment. I just put two new AGM batteries in a 750va UPS that would cost $400.00 new, $32.00 for new batteries. O_o
TDD
On 09/12/13 03:27 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I used to replace APC UPSes because a new "genuine APC" battery pack cost more than a new UPS on sale from Staples, Costco, etc. However, having not thrown out the old UPSes, I have simply bought new batteries for some of them and returned them to service. The last few batteries came from Chrome Battery (with which I have no relationship other than as a satisfied customer).
Perce

Well, the <$100 ones it probably isn't worth it, because a newer one will have better features (able to e.g. shut off your printer, scanner, etc. for you when you power down your PC) but I agree in principle. This unit I'm using would retail for over $400, I picked it up for $100 used figuring that it would need batteries, guess what, I got luck, batteries are still good (for now, anyway.)
I wouldn't mind replacing some of my other ones with better quality ones, but I can't justify the cost now, and they're only backing up computer equipment anyway, which contrary to popular belief is not really that picky about the power that you feed through it. The reason for searching out a good, double-conversion UPS is it's also backing up my rack of entertainment stuff (not that I want to keep it on during an outage, but I prefer my stuff to shut down gracefully; also, the cable box takes forever to come back up after an outage of only a few seconds) and believe it or not but my LCD TV is highly not happy with anything other than a true sine wave output as I discovered one day when the power went out while I was watching TV.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/12/2013 3:24 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

The only piece of equipment I've ever installed that required a true sine wave output UPS was an Intertel GMX-48 phone system and that was more than 20 years ago. I don't think it had a switching power supply most of which don't care about the quality of power supplied to them. I imagine electronic gear of the future will operate on the electrical charge produced when you walk across a carpet. Anyway, I must pick up another case of 12 volt AGM batteries with 1/4" Faston terminals at the supply house so I can repair some of the 1kw and larger rack mount UPS units I have holding down the carpet. We just picked up a 55" LCD TV from an individual desperate for cash and I'll see if a UPS will work on it. ^_^
TDD

Very true! Most anything with a switching power supply you can feed a ringing square wave and it'll just keep on working. I was honestly quite surprised when the TV started making a loud buzzing when the power went off and my old APC UPS kicked in. But a used true sine wave UPS was cheaper than a different TV, and I needed another UPS anyway so I could put one on the FiOS box - apparently the internal battery only backs up the POTS line not the cable TV or internet. I don't care so much about CATV but having the interwebs drop out is annoying :)

Mine's a Samsung, couple years old, just for reference.
Are you getting a quantity deal on the batteries? I know they're a high markup item.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/12/2013 4:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

A few years ago there was a Crown Battery industrial supply house that had them for $7.00ea in case quantities but the company shifted its focus at that location and no longer carries the AGM/gel cells so I pick them up at one of the electronic supply houses for $16.00ea or less in case quantities. Batteries Plus stores have them for $25.00ea or more. BP is very expensive but they usually have or can get any battery. ^_^
TDD