connecting Steel pipe to plastic OR copper

In my downstairs cloakroom I have the mains water coming in and a stop c*ck in the room. The piping then runs along the wall and then up and into the ceiling. It is pretty unsightly and I want to hide it by chasing it into the wall. The problem is that it is old steel piping which is not going to be too easy to manipulate.

What i want to do is replace a section of the pipe with plastic or copper (probably plastic due to the corrosion problems) but how do you connect steel piping to plastic piping? Is it possible?

I really don't want to replace the entire thing as a quick decoration of the cloakroom is rapidly turning itno a huge multi-room job!!

Any thoughts?

Reply to
rick_little99

there are adapters on the shelves at lowe's hardware. there is older hard cpvc that glues together; now there's some soft new flexible hose stuff too. however: once you start opening the old galvanized pipe, you will see how restricted the water flow is inside and want to replace it. i did this is to bring the arriving fast water at the basement to the rest of the slow faucets upstairs. regardless of the expert advice of others, i use a minimum of 3/4" inside diameter water lines throughout the home. not 1/2". this will provide improved flow even in a low water pressure area [like my 42 psi.] you must have fast water arriving in the main at the basement for all this to work, of course.

Reply to
buffalobill