connecting smaller stranded wire to heavier solid wire?

I bought a motion sensing porch light with stranded wires coming out.
When I tried to connect it to the solid wire with twist on connectors (2 solid wires + 1 stranded), one stranded wire slipped out after a slight tug. The stranded wires is of a smaller guage.
I thought about making the leads on the stranded wire longer and wrap it around the two solid wires first. But the strands being so thin, might be cut by twisiting the connector on it.
In the end, I removed the porch light, twisted each stranded wire all by itself, and put solder on it. This essentially turned the strands into a solid wire. Then I twisted it on with the solid wires.
Is this the correct solution?

If it worked it is okay.
I usually strip about 1" of each stranded and pre-twist them together according to color. I strip 1/2" or so from the solid. It needs to be straight so sometimes you have to trim it and start fresh.
Then using the proper size compression nut, not the provided ones, I hold the wires so that the stranded ones are about 1/2" longer than the solid one.
One 12 or 14 and up to 3 16s connect using a yellow wirenut, not the big red one or those dismal things they ship with the lights.
Once secured I have never experienced a problem.
You mileage may vary.
--
Colbyt

james wrote:

Hi, I'd use proper size wire nut.

Longer sounds good to me. Clockwise.

LIke Colby says, twist the thin strands together first.

That also sounds good to me. Although too much solder can make the stranded wires stiffer than the heavy wire.
And good wire nuts have a metal coil inside. Some don't have that and they often don't screw on as well.
james wrote:

There are probably a lot of "favorite methods".
I would probably twist the solid wires and leave the small stranded wire straight so the wire nut positively contacts it.
Or twist the small stranded around one of the solids and then either twist the solids or not. The stranded should be clamped between the solids.
mm recommends a wire nut with a metal coil inside. I would add that with some wire nuts the coil expands over the wires ("live spring") and IMHO makes a more secure connection.

Sounds reasonable.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

When I've had similar problems at the OP, I do exactly as this reply states and it has never failed. As others have said used the right size wire nut and used the "live spring" types.

Sounds right. The goal is to have a tight connection.