Connecting PVC in an existing underground line

I've got to make a repair to my pool's skimmer line. I've dug out under the slab and seen the damage. It's broken at the threaded connection to the basket. I'm going to have to cut the line and replace the connection.

Here's my question: short of digging out a lengthy section of pipe to free the line up, how do I make the final connection between glued pieces? I can glue everything up but when it comes to tying in that last joint, I'm worried I'll end up breaking something in the process.

I've considered using a threaded joint (something similar to the connection used for under-sink plumbing) but I can't find any SCH 40 PVC connection like that.

Any suggestions???

Reply to
Jason T.

You can either do it at an elbow where you have the "swing" room or use a repair coupling. That is one without the shoulder so it will slide past the end and then slide back.

Reply to
Greg

YOU COULD ALSO USE A UNION. they come w/ threaded or slip.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

I don't have any suggestions since I cannot see the problem, but I will make one related suggestion. Be very careful when working under an unsupported concrete slab. A few years ago, there was a kid working for a fly-by-night pool company doing something similar when the slab cracked over him and crushed him underneath, killing him.

Reply to
willshak