connecting multi-strand to copper wire for lighting

Page 2 of 2
Mark Lloyd wrote:

is there an intelligent or intelligible question somewhere in Mr. Lloyd's post?
Mark Lloyd wrote:

. Doesn't sound like that much problem. I use wire nuts with a 'live spring'. The spring doesn't have plastic right behind it and deforms over the wires making a more secure connection (IMHO). If you take a wire nut off that has been tightened you can see the deformation. (Far as I know these don't exist in a size smaller than yellow.)
Use wire combinations the manufacturer indicates are in the capability of the wire nut. As suggested elsewhere I extend stranded wires slightly past solid.
IMHO 2 #12 solids and a stranded #18 is a bigger problem - the #18 can sit in the 'valley' between the solids. I twist the solids and keep the smaller wire straight.
--
bud--

A nice tight wire nut connection has always worked for me even with a mixture of solid and stranded wires and I've taken the connections apart several times afterward to make sure there was good contact area. I agree that pre-twisting the solids helps. In earlier days, I just soldered the bundle and put a wire nut over the top for insulation.
TKM
bob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

This is what I do: Strip and/or clip the solid wire so that the exposed wire is short or about 1/2 the length of the wire nut. I strip the stranded wires a bit longer maybe full length of wire nut. (I am using the yellow color/size wire nuts.). I then use lineman or needle nose pliers and bend the ends of the solid wires a bit so that the wires have a bit of a ripple. Then wrap stranded wires around the solid wire and twist on nut as normal. I never use the small wire nuts that come with the fixture.
Kevin