connecting multi-strand to copper wire for lighting

Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper wire? This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway. Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

Thx!!

Reply to
bob_monkhouse35

bob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:175c3cca-f7ae-4993-b394- snipped-for-privacy@x30g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

They are generically called "wire nuts".

You need to twist the stranded wire with your fingers to make it similar to a solid wire, next lead off with the stranded wire before putting on the wire nut. That is, put the stranded wire higher than the solid wire, then twist on the wire nut.

Here is a similar description with a photo.

HaLiGoOn

I believe the French word for wire nut is merat. You twist the stranded wires around the solid wire in a clockwise rotation then twist the wire nut on. Be sure you are using the correct size nut for the connection

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:47c6a109$0$15195$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Marrette® is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is a brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like calling a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name. Either way, people will know what your talking about.

Reply to
HaLiGoOn

These are all eponyms.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

franz fripplfrappl wrote in news:pJxxj.59326$Pv2.28649 @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

@x30g2000hsd.googlegroups.com.

There was a person named "wire nut"?

Reply to
HaLiGoOn

The best way is to twist the wires together with a pair of pliers so that they make a tight connection before you screw on the wire connector. For multiple wires twist each wire one at a time. It is also important to have the correct size wire connector. Trim back the tip of the splice with wire cutters if it is too long.

Reply to
John Grabowski

You don't remember his brothers Brazil and Pea?

Reply to
mm

Not round here they're not. They're called "marrets".

Not round here they're not. They're called "marrettes".

[snip]

Where'd you come up with THAT?

Anyway, it's still funny.

Interestingly, there have been a few things in the local paper about people getting electrocuted when trying to steal copper wire. Could those be the "wire nuts"? :-)

Reply to
Harry

Harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"These are all eponyms"

I had to look that word up.

"An eponym is a word derived from someone's name."

Reply to
HaLiGoOn

Yes, someone knows.

Wire nuts. Smallest size that will hold a 14 ga solid wire. ighly twist the strands of the stranded. Then using serious linesmens' pliers, twist the stranded and the 14 ga feeder, then wire nut the two.

Reply to
edbedb

Certainly applies to a guy around here who was found fried on top of a transformer in a distribution transformer station. The power went out, when the service people arrived they found him on top of the transformer, he was trying to steal copper from the live high voltage equipment and electrocuted himself.

Reply to
EXT

Headline:

EPONYMS STEAL COPPER WIRE

:-)

Reply to
Harry

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wire nuts are usually rated for a range of conductors and their size. The ones I use do not require twisting the wires first. just lay them side by side and screw the wire nut on .

It is no problem to put 3 or 4 wires in the same wire nut if it is the proper size.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

is there an intelligent or intelligible question somewhere in Mr. Lloyd's post?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

This is what I do: Strip and/or clip the solid wire so that the exposed wire is short or about 1/2 the length of the wire nut. I strip the stranded wires a bit longer maybe full length of wire nut. (I am using the yellow color/size wire nuts.). I then use lineman or needle nose pliers and bend the ends of the solid wires a bit so that the wires have a bit of a ripple. Then wrap stranded wires around the solid wire and twist on nut as normal. I never use the small wire nuts that come with the fixture.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Too simple for you?

I was asking about connecting TWO stranded wires to one solid one using a wire nut.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd