Connecting CU & AL wiring together

On 4/5/2010 2:04 AM Evan spake thus:

That's a *totally ridiculous* suggestion. Do you even think before you start typing?

The customer--my client--owns an apartment building built in the late

1970s. He's not about to have me rip out a perfectly sound switchbox in the bathroom just to accomodate your idea of the proper fix.

Sheesh.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You said you required more space in the box to utilize the devices recommended by another poster's method of making the Cu-Al connection...

It is NOT ridiculous to suggest a larger size electrical box when you have one that is as you put it: "Fully populated with two duplex devices (receptacles and switches) and a bunch of wires, so no room for such a device." which would raise concerns over whether the existing box being used is of adequate size to begin with...

Your customer trusts that you know what you are doing, which may have to include upgrading the "perfectly good switchbox" that is in place now for one that is the proper size needed to accommodate safely connecting the two types of wiring using currently approved methods...

~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

On 4/5/2010 2:59 PM Evan spake thus:

Except that a new box is *totally unnecessary*, as Ideal 65 wirenuts are approved and perfectly suitable for the need here (AL/CU connections) and don't take up enough space to warrant a new box. Why are you assuming that I need to use the bulky connector suggested by someone else here?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

May be I should not poke my nose in here but I googled on Ideal 65 wirenuts and found some bad comments. " Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2006 Location: Maryland Posts: 229 Default ashtrak,

Please, please, please, do not do this job. You obvioulsy have a lot to learn.

First of all, the purple wire nut method has been proven to be as dangerous if not more than the original wiring. This is because the compound inside the wire nut is flammable. Those wire nuts are for TEMPORARY repairs only!

Secondly, EVERY termination in the home should be repaired. If you leave one termination unrepaired, you have not resolved the problem with the aluminum wiring in the home. That could be the one termination that fails. So this now includes all recepts, lights, switches, dishwasher, disposal, water heater, A/C unit, range hood fan, recessed lighting, junction boxes in the attic, and all other terminations.

Thirdly, aluminum wiring is very delicate. If you haven't worked with it before, you must take great care in both stripping and splicing the wire. Even a small knick in the wire may be a point for future failure.

Fourthly, I imagine that you will be attempting this without a permit and given the information above, you will be putting the homeowner and yourself at a great liability if your "repairs" were to fail. Someone could be seriously injured or killed, then if you are lucky, only a lawyer (not a city prosecutor) will be showing up at your door to tell you all what you did wrong.

Lastly, well I won't even get into your pricing strategy.

Please think again about this repair. Let a professional that is experienced in the repair of aluminum wiring upgrade this home.

just passing it along email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end TIA Hank

Reply to
Hank

You can google ANYTHING and find bad comments.

Reply to
clare

On 4/6/2010 8:15 AM Hank spake thus:

[snip report]

Yes, I read similar comments on a site given as a link somewhere up-thread of this. The goop is flammable, as is the wirenut itself.

Rest easy. I didn't actually use an Ideal 65. I used an ordinary wirenut with Ox-Gard liberally applied (which is not flammable so far as I know).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl