Confusing terminal labels on White-Rodgers thermostat

I'm planning to replace my old mechanical White-Rodgers thermostat (model 1C30-302) with a Honeywell Chronotherm IV.
My house has gas heat only, and uses a 24-volt 2-wire system (white and red wire). This should be an easy DIY job, but I found the labeling on the old thermostat confusing.
The old sub-base has 2 connections: one is labeled "4" (connected to the red wire), and the other is labeled "R5" (connected to the white wire).
I know I need to connect these to the "R" and "W" terminals on the new thermostat. Unfortunately, the terminal cross-reference for the new stat don't mention an R5 terminal. So, I don't know which wire should go to which terminal on the Honeywell.
I suspect since it's just a 2-wire system, it doesn't really matter which wire goes to which terminal (as long as I connect to the R and W). My guess is that the thermostat just makes/breaks the connection between R and W when the stat calls for heat.
Should I just hook the Red wire to R, and the white wire to W?
Thanks, David Bono
your kidding right?
go troll elsewhere
David Bono wrote:

To get the Chronotherm IV to work correctly, you will need to run 2 more wires they will need to be wired as follows; R - 24V W - heat G - fan X - common
Then you will need to do the initial installer programming on the stat, and then program it for your personal comfort and times

red
old
red
guess
when
According to the installation instructions, the Chronotherm IV should work with the existing 2-wire system.
Since the existing thermostat doesn't have a separate G terminal, I assume the furnace takes care of turning the fan on and off.
What if the system doesn't have the G and X wires? Does that mean I can't use this thermostat?

(model
stat
which

and
the
the

and
the
the
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:48:17 -0800, "David Bono"

Hook your red and white wires to the R and W terminals of the new stat. As long as you have the battery powered or power stealing version it will work just as it is supposed to.
Since you don't have A/C there's no need to run two additional wires and there is no such thing as an X terminal in a standard Chronotherm IV as someone else stated. The stats that require a Common have a C terminal.
If you want to take advantage of the Fan On feature you'll need another wire for the G terminal. If your furnace is old you may not even have a G terminal to attach it to, if that's the case you'll need to have a professional install a fan control center. Either way it's not worth the time...if you add A/C in the future the installer will run a 5 wire at that time.
Good luck! George
040120 2341 - vairxpert wrote:

Here is a link to the White-Rodgers WebSite where you can find your thermostat listed and then find the wiring connections appropriate in your case.
http://www.white-rodgers.com/oem/ptech/thermo/info_list_ss.htm#1F78-144