confused about which nail gun I need for siding installation

I need to replace some T1-11 siding panels. 19/32" thick. The manufacturer says I need 8d box, casing, or siding nails. So I'm trying to find a pneumatic gun to buy to shoot such a nail. But they all specify nails in things like 22-deg round head, 30-34 deg clipped head, etc.
Best I can find is that 8d box nails are presumably .113" diam. And some guns mention .113 as one of their diameters. What's the best option?
I'd like to go with a gun that is the most versatile. If there's any way to do this with a finish gun (e.g. 15-gauge) then that would be awesome.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A hammer and a pound or two of 8d box nails.

Nope. You need a nail with more of a head on it than a finish nail has. That's why the manufacturer says you need box, casing, or siding nails. Finish nailers shoot finish nails.
On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:04:09 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would use something like this with 2 1/2" ring shank galvanized nails. http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/catalog/Hitachi_NV65AH_Coil_Siding_Nailer_11_2_to_21_2-p-26559.html
The NV65AH is an awesome nailer (I have it). Fastener Length Capacity    1-1/2" - 2-1/2" Fastener Diameter Range    .090 - .099 However, for this application you might consider the NV65AG (similar in price) because it will handle larger shank nails and only weighs another 16 ounces. Fastener Length Capacity    1-3/4" -3" Fastener Diameter Range    .090 - .131 Neither one of these fine units is cheap ($270 refurb and $390 new). The coil nails come 9000 fasteners per box (30 coils of 300), so the whole thing is a high-volume proposition. Perfect for wood fence pickets. The nailer is very light and very fast in a fencing application.
Unless you are replacing ALL of the siding, quite a bit of money for the solution. It is unlikely that you will use the nailer for other than a siding or fencing application.
On Fri, 15 May 2009 00:43:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks all for the suggestions.
I understand it might be a lot of expense for sinking a few nails and I appreciate the hammer suggestions. For me, the most important factor is how sore will I be? Will I be less sore using a big framing nailer or using a hammer?
I figure I'm likely to sink about 3 or 400 8d nails. I picked up a few framing nailers today and they are quite heavy (~8 lbs). So that needs to play into the equation.
That Hitachi looks awesome, especially the weight, but it's a lot more than I was hoping to spend, and with the minimum 9k nails/box I'll end up with most of them when I'm done.

Unless you have a lot of it to do I agree with Doug. A hammer and a box of nails.
Any framing nailer that will drive a 2 -- 21/2 ring shank nail will do the job but you will need to set the depth gauge carefully. You don't want craters, just flush. I would use 2" nails if applying it directly to the studs and 2 1/2" ones if the studs are covered with insulation board or plywood.
Colbyt
On Fri, 15 May 2009 10:17:35 -0400, "Colbyt"

I got an Hitachi NV83 framing nailer on Ebay for $70 shipped. I would not hit very many nails for that kind of money. I am sure I could sell it tomorrow for what I have in it anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Use siding or ring shank nails. "Siding" nails usually are ring shank. Galvanized are fine. Stainless steel very expensive. Box nails I've see do not have rings.
Siding nail

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00000099.jpg