Confused

Page 2 of 3

Brain fart, sorry. Ignore previous post.
113 ac. X 43560=5,261,280 square feet. The square root of that is 2293.748025

No, it isn't.

1+1=2 2+2=4

Square roots are something you plant in a garden.
LSMFT wrote:

You must be TOASTED! <g>
Jon

Did you ever get past the 6th grade is school???

SQUARE ROOT OF (113 X 43560) = 2218.621193 feet. If you want that in feet and inches, 2218 feet 7.454316 inches.
Steve

Well, I see you finally got the right answer. You're a bit late to the party, though.

Well, I'm never in doubt, but often wrong.
Steve
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:13:31 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

[is school]
Did Andrew Jackson? The first and only POTUS to balance the national debt. He made it onto the $20 bill. Drunken native Americans prefer $10 dollar bills for change.

How exactly does one "balance" the national debt? You can balance the annual federal budget, which means you take in as much as you spend. Or you can eliminate the national debt by paying it all off. If it's the former you're talking about, a lot more presidents than Jackson did that.

Quote: "One acre comprises 4840 square yards or 43560 square feet ....... ".
Think of it this way;
10 feet by 10 feet = 100 square feet. OK. 20 by 20 = 400 sq. feet 30 by 30 = 900 50 by 50 = 2500 100 by 100 = 10,000 200 by 200 =40,000 And 206.3 by 1206.3 = 43,560
BTW if depth dimension of a one acre lot is 21,780 then the width would be 2.0 (two) feet. Because 21,780 x 2 = 43,560.

Next: And 113 acres is 43,560 x 113 = 4,922,280 (four million, nine hundred thousand etc. etc.) and if square each side would be 2,218.6 feet. You can get some idea if that is correct by calculating 2000 feet by 2000 feet which would be would be 4,000,000 (four million) square feet.

Next: And 113 acres is 43,560 x 113 = 4,922,280 (four million, nine hundred thousand etc. etc.) and if square each side would be 2,218.6 feet. You can get some idea if that is correct by calculating 2000 feet by 2000 feet which would be would be 4,000,000 (four million) square feet.
reply:
With high school (maybe even middle school math) and a calculator, you can arrive at a much more accurate answer. I am going to dig out my Pickart slide rule and see how close I can come with that. Leather case and all.
Steve

Brain fart. Pickett. But still come to the same approximate answer.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

How good are you with a #2 pencil and a sheet of paper? I can't remember anymore how to do the square root calculation using just those two items.

To tell you the truth, I would have to do quite a lot of calculations to arrive very close. We did do some calculations back before the days of the calculator, and the math teachers accepted slide rule results from that large of a calculation. I still do math, doing real estate surveys. My two largest properties in approximately 1,000 studies were 1100 acres each. Most average 750,000 square feet gross property. And in that, I have to calculate streets, sidewalks, curbs, drainages, landscape, block walls, landscaping, and other things. I spent over a year relearning a lot of it after a traumatic brain injury five years ago.
Steve

Oh, for cryin' out loud. The calculations to "arrive very close" are trivial and can easily be done in one's head.
It should be obvious that sqrt(113) is somewhat less than 11. Likewise, it should be obvious that sqrt(43560) is somewhat more than sqrt(40000) = 200.
This gives a quick approximation for sqrt(113 * 43560) at (11 * 200) = 2200 -- which is within 1 percent of the correct answer.

Please state your views as they apply to you. I have studied math, algebra, trig, physics, chemistry, and calculus. Some of it I have retained, and some of it has gone out the window, due to aftereffects of being on a ventilator, a 9 hour heart surgery, various other surgeries, and a traumatic brain injury. With what I have left, I'm better than average. And quite a bit at that.
So, don't be so darn insulting and condescending in your treatment of other people. Not all of us are as smart as you, and that is a good thing. Ah. If I were only as humble as you are .............
Steve
And 206.3 by 1206.3 = 43,560
BTW if depth dimension of a one acre lot is 21,780 then the width would be 2.0 (two) feet. Because 21,780 x 2 = 43,560.
Pssssssssst.