Conduit sizing for electrical Mains supply

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply? (interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Check with your local electric utility.

Here is info for western U.S. ...

Bill

This is Turtle.

Copper would be a 2 inch and Al. would be 2 inch but for certain type wires and could even get to the 2.5 inch with some Al. wire types. To know the exact wire type yopu was going to use would be helpful. Yes I know service entrance cable but other type can be used.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The short answer is 2", that will hold the 250 Kcmil aluminum you would need for a commercial 200a service. That's why it is the standard. If this is a service mast you may need 2 1/2 for strength. The absolute smallest would be 2/0 copper in a 1 1/4 or 4/0 aluminum in a 1

1/2. It is sure a lot easier to get the wire in a 2" for a few pennies a foot more.
Reply to
Greg

Our local utility specifies 2 1/2" conduit for residential and 3" for commercial. Must make it pretty easy for the utility crew, YMMV

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

Hey Jeffy, do you EVER consider using Google, Yahoo, any search engine?

Huh? Have you ever? Oh, and don't bother sending me any obnoxious emails.

Reply to
Tekkie

Hey asshole, do you ever think of taking your head out of your ass and answering the question? Your name belongs under the definition of waste of bandwidth.

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:25:40 GMT "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

  1. tekkie

a) Technical Theater student. b) One who likes making medieval weaponry out of PVC piping, nails and plywood. c) Anyone who is or has been high from paint fumes, dust, and/or asbestos.

I'm leaning towards "C" ;-}

Reply to
G. Morgan

LOL.... You took the words right out of my mouth !!! For people like him, they may as well just cancel the newsgroups, so we are all forced to use Google. However, I think HE should just spend all his time online searching Google for the word "netiquette"., and avoid using newsgroups.

Unfortunately I can not answer your question, however there are required minimum sizes to match the wire gauge. If you were able to get your hands on the National Electrical Code (book), that has everything in charts. Of course you can always oversize it, hyst not undersize. Stuffing those thick wires thru pipe can be a struggle, so larger is often easier. What is your wire guage?

Dont quote me on this, but my guess is a 2" pipe.

Reply to
me

If this will be done in compliance with the US NEC then you would need

1&1/2" for copper or 2" for aluminum single phase dwelling service if the conduit in question is schedule forty or eighty PVC. Many utilities require schedule eighty PVC for service entry conductors but schedule forty is allowed for the feeder between the service disconnecting means and the main distribution panel.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

G. Morgan posted for all of us....

Bzzzzt, D none of the above.

Exactly how did you contribute? Or answer the question?

I pointed him in direction, you blathered; another jerk.

Reply to
Tekkie

posted for all of us....

So you are as useless as you claim my answer to be!!

A guess; yeah that's great. Works fine for the inspector. AHJ: "That's not good enough" Jeffy: "But that's what me guessed!" AHJ: "WTF is a me guess?"

I tried to point him *again* in a direction which you & your ilk don't understand.

I am having a good laugh at you guys, provide me with more entertainment.

Reply to
Tekkie

[...]

What a jerkamo now he's talking to himself. I won't even have to prompt him.

Reply to
Tekkie

Tekkie vomited:

Hey Fop-doodle, go play with your xylophone. Don't forget to turn on your speakers you clueless, uber-impotent f****it.

G. Morgan

G. Morgan posted for all of us....

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAA you are too much! What a jerk.

Too easy, you might go in the bozo bin yet. Not much of a challenge here.

Reply to
Tekkie