Condo Windows - Shared Property?

I am wondering if windows are considered shared property for a condo. If not and I am responsible for fixing them, can I install any new framing and windows I like?
Dan

get a copy of your condo bylaws/deed restrictions and read them? any advice would be a guess.

They can be. Or not. Depends on your particular condo.
I suggest you read the paperwork you signed before moving in.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Gotta read your documents. Our condo unit (our part) is defined as the area contained by the interior of the unfinished interior wall. Doors and windows are not mentioned, so it sounds like windows are the common areas since they are outside the line by which our part of the condo is defined.
Stylewise, you probably would be making a "material alteration" by choosing a different style/type of window. In our condo (and state?), material alterations require vote of the association. I would expect objection to that, which is logical. A unit owner in our condo wanted to put in different size/style of window and it would have made the building look pretty goofy.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in

It all depends on your association's rules.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

They may not be shared property, but there might be restrictions on replacements or alterations that are viewable from the street such as, colors, awnings, air conditioning units, shutters, etc.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Check the CC&R's and/or call the HOA/management company.
Window repairs may or may not be your responsibility.
You may have other responsibilities -- for example, in my last condo there were even restrictions on the type/color of blinds/drapes.
It will (or should) all be defined in the HOA paperwork.

Who would you be sharing them with? Peeping Tom?
Hi Dan, In answer to your question, my condo building is a 47 years old and the windows had never been replaced, just patched, but alot of people were starting to have caulking done and redone until the condo board of directors (yours should have one) put together a committee to redo the building. The board started upgrading the 6 story building (300 units) from top to bottom floor starting about last summer. I just got mine done and they are awesome. The payments are being handled by around $80/month condo fee hike and an assessment (the assessment was agreed to be split into three chunks which is very manageable considering there are alot of elderly fixed income owners in the building. That is how they upgraded our building. Turns out our bldg engineer (fix-it guy) doubles as the manager which makes it handy. In short answer to your question, hold out and inquire with management company.