Condensors white or silver?

If a refrigerator is used outdoors, in the summer. The condensor on the back, is black tubing. As we know, black absorbs heat from the sun shine, which makes the compressor work harder.

Of course, that condensor can be painted. Which color paint is coolest in summer, and works best to release the heat from the refrigerator? White, or silver?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd vote for silver. The more it reflects the better. But why is a fridge so exposed and so oriented outside that it's even an issue? If it's that exposed I would think there could be issues aside from the sun thing, which is probably minor.

Reply to
trader4

If a refrigerator is used outdoors, in the summer. The condensor on the back, is black tubing. As we know, black absorbs heat from the sun shine, which makes the compressor work harder.

Of course, that condensor can be painted. Which color paint is coolest in summer, and works best to release the heat from the refrigerator? White, or silver?

What ever turns you on Chris. WW .

Reply to
WW

Temporary set up, for a camp that's only used during the summer.

One vote, silver.

.

I'd vote for silver. The more it reflects the better. But why is a fridge so exposed and so oriented outside that it's even an issue? If it's that exposed I would think there could be issues aside from the sun thing, which is probably minor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Silver is a color of value, over the years. If you go to a fortune teller, she wants you to cross her palm with silver. On the other hand, white symbolizes purity. I need a few more votes.

.

What ever turns you on Chris. WW .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:rWbgs.241$ snipped-for-privacy@fed10.iad:

The condensor is black because black radiates heat better. To make it functioning that way, put an awning of some kind over the fridge to keep solar radiation off of it. White or silver doesn't make a difference, as long as it is as opaque as can be. In addition, rig a small fan up so there is additional cooling when the fridge is in cooling mode.

Reply to
Han

If something is black, it will absorbe the most heat, it will also radiate the most heat. It depends on if the air around the object is hotter or colder than the object. As you move to white or silver, this abosrbs and also gives off the least heat.

Being in or out of the sun has nothing to do with this. However if something is in the sun and not shaded from it, the sun will cause black to heat up faster than the silver or white from the rays of the sun.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Condensers and radiators are black for a reason. The darker object emits/loses heat more efficiently. It also absorbs heat better but when the source of heat is gone, heat will be released quicker. In science class, teachers have been demonstrating the effect to students for many years. In your case, I would leave the condenser black and find a way to shade it from direct sunlight with something painted in a light color. ^_^

There is even special paint for radiators, you don't want too thick a coating.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually black "releases" heat better than other colors! (In addition to absorbing heat better.)

Bill

Ah, that makes as much sense as anything. Thanks.

.

Condensers and radiators are black for a reason. The darker object emits/loses heat more efficiently. It also absorbs heat better but when the source of heat is gone, heat will be released quicker. In science class, teachers have been demonstrating the effect to students for many years. In your case, I would leave the condenser black and find a way to shade it from direct sunlight with something painted in a light color. ^_^

There is even special paint for radiators, you don't want too thick a coating.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Far as I know, these are only used summer time, outdoors. Still, it give me cause to think.

.

Actually black "releases" heat better than other colors! (In addition to absorbing heat better.)

Stormin Mormon

"Black" in the visible range doesn't matter much at the far infrared wavelengths the refrigerator will be operating at. It matters some in direct sunlight because there is a significant component of sunlight in the visible range (duh!). My point is that its "color" in visible light doesn't mean a lot. The emissivity at the operating point matters.

Again, color doesn't matter, as far as the operation of the refrigerator, itself. If the object is to reflect visible sunlight, white is better.

Reply to
krw

An argument could be made that a specific type of silver paint, that with a high zinc content common in "cold galvanizing" types, might be a good choice because the zInc may be more conductive to heat transfer than an additional layer of regular paint.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I could be wrong but the purpose of the coils is to dispel heat from the compression. Paint them and they will do so less well. The possible exception would be if they got hotter than the ambient temperature.

IOW, I wouldn't paint, might make some shade if they got a lot of sun.

Reply to
dadiOH

gold. there's a reason the visors of astronauts are coated with a thin layer of gold

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Refrigerators & freezers should always be housed indoors, and even then positively shielded from heat sources and direct solar radiation. (Meaning zero direct sunlight.)

Bet you a buck if you read your refrigeration equipment manual, you'll find these environmental requirements stated within.

Yes, as others have noted, black is by far the most efficient color far as heat radiation goes... ever notice how condensers always come from the factory painted black? Keeping the condenser free of dust/spooge, and insuring free air circulation around it is a great long term energy saving measure

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Yes, and sounds reasonable.

.

I could be wrong but the purpose of the coils is to dispel heat from the compression. Paint them and they will do so less well. The possible exception would be if they got hotter than the ambient temperature.

IOW, I wouldn't paint, might make some shade if they got a lot of sun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree, indoors, climate control, and so on. In this case, that's not gonna happen.

.

Refrigerators & freezers should always be housed indoors, and even then positively shielded from heat sources and direct solar radiation. (Meaning zero direct sunlight.)

Bet you a buck if you read your refrigeration equipment manual, you'll find these environmental requirements stated within.

Yes, as others have noted, black is by far the most efficient color far as heat radiation goes... ever notice how condensers always come from the factory painted black? Keeping the condenser free of dust/spooge, and insuring free air circulation around it is a great long term energy saving measure

Erik

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If they are not hotter than the ambient temperature, they will not disple heat, but they will absorbe the heat and try to carry more heat back to the unit. The opposite of what is wanted.

Paint will tend to act as an insulation of sorts. You can anadosie the aluminum black and that should not make it act like insulation. That is often done for electronic equipment heat sinks to make them work beter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That depends on the purpose. If it's to reflect sunlight, no, conduction doesn't matter (could make even the situation worse). Anyway, the point is that "white" is whiter than silver. White paint my have higher emissivity than a mirror.

Reply to
krw