Condensor replacement

I need a sanity check - my AC went out a two weeks ago - the tech found a loose/burnt wire (on the start wind terminal - whatever that means) - he re-attached it - he mentioned that the compressor seemed to be working normally, but it was 10 years old and out of warranty - AC wend down again last night - he came out today, the same wire was burned out - he re-attached the wire, mentioned that he may not have repaired it correctly last time, but then again it could be a compressor problem - the compressor is a RUUD UAKA037JAZ - no charge for this trip - but he wrote on the bill that a compressor would run $1,487.07 if it eventually needed to be replaced - does this pricing sound close to reasonable? These guys have always seemed honest and reliable previously, but $1400 is $1400 - I gotta check. Thanks, experts!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Don't buy anything until you get someone else to look at it. He may be completely honest, but almost 30 years ago I called an A/C man to look at my new unit. He agreed it was under warranty and replacement of the compressor would be free, but labor was not. I thanked him and fixed the problem in five minutes after he had left. It was the contactor was not energized due to corroded wires from the thermostat. They were twisted together instead of soldered, and the copper corroded.

Lastly, the same compressor is still working fine 30 years later. I guess he was either incompetent, or a crook. My guess is the latter. Not all are, but it is wise to get another opinion.

Reply to
Ken

Prices vary around the nation. In my part of the world (Western NY) it's a lot more sensible to replace the entire outdoor unit. Rather than try to cut the compressor out of an outdoor unit, and keep the dirty coils, contactor, old fan, etc.

I havn't done one in awhile, but 1500-2000 oughta be about right. Depending on which refrigerant, and what kind of unit and what kind of compressor.

Might want to call for some quotes on doing the outdoor unit completely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That oughta been a very easy find for an AC technician. I've never soldered low power contactor wires. Wirenut, followed by electrical tape has worked for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have him put on a compressor terminal repair kit. I have seen this onb a couple of Rheem/Ruud units. The last one I fixed with a terminal repair kit has been going strong for 5 more years. He can aquire them at any HVAc supply house, Johnstone Supply, or Grainger.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

This is Turtle.

If it is just a compressor only to be changed $1,487.00 seems a little on the high side but due to the area it might be good there in your area but not in mine in Central Louisiana.

If it is for the '' whole condenser unit '' the $1,487.00 seem to be a excellent price and fair in everyway.

you need to clear this up.

Now like Bob Said a good Terminal repair kit will fix this problem.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Bob beat me to the punch. "TermLocks" are about the best thing to use, however, I have use small Kearneys (sp?) -- the split bolt connectors. Also have used the lugs like they use to hook up the eqipment ground. If only the flag is burned off the terminal, it should be able to be easily and permanantly repaired. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Hi guys - thanks for the suggestions - remember that I don't know squat about AC systems, but I gotta ask - what if there's something wrong with whatever is connected to the terminal - something that's causing it to burn out repeatedly, something besides just simply a bad connection - would a terminal repair kit do the job, or would the AC guy need to replace whatever it is that's causing the terminal to burn out - I feel so ignorant sometimes . . .

Thanks very much . . .

Reply to
Texas Yankee

The connection that is burning up is a slip on connector. they get loose especially on corroded terminals. Loose connections build heat and the heat makes the connectors burn away and lose contact. the terminal repair kits. and kearnies make a screw connection to the compressor terminal minimizing the heat build up.. connections stay tight and no excesses heat to build up. Good luck Don

Reply to
Don

Suggest have him replace any capacitors too.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

You guys are amazing - thanks very much for the suggestions!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Have your contractor use a terminal repair kit.

Travis Jordan

This is Turtle.

Hey Travis , You picked out the best ones known to use for having the screws sticking out forward and not have the allen screw to tighten with a allen wrench sideways and in a very small place. I don't buy nothing but these qwiklugs for the other are too hard to work with.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE