condensing dyers ?

Does anyone have experience with condensing dryers ? How well do they work ?
I'm helping a friend plan out the ductwork for a dryer which is going to be in the back of a brick building and we're wondering if it's better to go this route rather than running the duct across the room and cutting a hole in the brick wall.
Drew V wrote:

Go with the real vent. If condensing was a great, why don't we see more applications?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Check with the manufacture for how far the dryer can push the air. My last home had 6 inch pipe going 20 odd feet vertically. Dryer said it was at the max it could do.
SQLit wrote:

If you hit the max there are booster fans available.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I hear that condensing dryers take a hell of a long time to dry the cloths.

the snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

It takes between 2 and 3 hours to do a full wash-and-dry cycle with our LG combine dwasher/dryer unit, which uses a condensing dryer. That's a bit longer than the same load in a conventional washer and dryer, but for us the convenience of not having to take it out of the wash and put it into the dryer more than makes up for slightly longer dry times -- put in a load of wash before going to bed, and in the morning you have dry clothes instead of a load ready to go in the dryer. Ditto before going to work.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
They are fairly common in parts of Europe. We stayed in a couple of apartments that had them. They do take longer than the dryers we are used to, but at the same time you don't have to be there when the wash cycle ends to put the clothes into the dryer. We just started the wash/dry cycle when we went to bed, or when we left the apartment in the morning, and everything was done when we got up, or got back to the apartment. They also had a smaller load capacity than we are used to, but I think some they are now selling in the US have a larger capacity.
I liked them because they take up less space, and less of your time, and because I think there are advantages to a front-loading washer. My wife didn't like them, but never said why (I'd guess it was because she wasn't used to them).