condenser unit sweating

I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help? Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.

It is normal for a condensor to gather water from the air. It'll have a drain and that is where your problem lies.

The condensor is outside, the evaporator is in the basement/ furnace!!!!!
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:03:07 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

My bad. It is the evaporator in the basement and located above the furnace. There is a PVC drain, and I checked that there is water flowing through the pipe to the outdoors. The outside of the evaporator is cold, wet and dripping on all sides when the A/C is turned on.

Too much humidity in the basement. Run a dehumidifier, or add a cold-air return in the basement so that some of that humid air is sucked through the evaporator and dehumdified.
I've done that kind of thing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, and it's the evaporator, not the the condenser that gathers water. (If the evaporator IS in the basement OR is sweating, he has bigger problems.) As "AZ Nomad" said, there should be some sort of drain that is probably clogged.
Phisherman, could you clarify what you mean by adding more insulation?
Hmm. What? Someone who knows something? How strange.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

To do an exorcism on my ac. But seriously, I put an insulation foil-backed blanket around the evaporator housing this morning and sealed all edges using foil tape. So far, everything is dry, no sweating at all.
Sounds totally effective. Way to go, chief!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Phisherman wrote:

--------------030907000208060702090503 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------030907000208060702090503--
"<<<__ Bb __>>>" wrote:

Mine, too, gave it up. I got one of those PVC pans you put under washing machines. Works swell and it'll last forever.
On Tue 30 Jun 2009 01:22:00p, Phisherman told us...

I doubt insulation is the issue. More likely the drain line from the drain pan under the condenser is either clogged or the drain pan has deteriorated and formed a leak.
If the former, the line is easily cleaned out. If the latter, depending on the degree of deterioration, you may be able to repair it with liquid solder or bondo. If the deterioration is extensive, you may need a new draiin pan.
FWIW, I once lived in a condo where the drain line clogged with some frequency. I usually cleaned it out at least 2-3 times each cooling season.
HTH
--
Wayne Boatwright
If your condensor is sweatting, there is definitely something wrong. You really need to call a HVAC pro.