Condensation on outside of new refrigerator

Has anyone heard of this problem and if so, do you have suggestions?

We had a Kitchen Aid Model KSCS251 Stainless Steel refrigerator delivered two weeks ago by Lowes. Within a week, water was dripping off of the front of both the freezer side and the refrigerator side as well as the exposed panel on the refrigerator side.

We called Lowes immediately and it took a week and half for a repair person to get here--scheduled through Whirlpool directly. During that time the weather changed from hot and humid to cool and relatively dry. The condensation was not as great but was still present.

The repair person checked the door seals and the temperature inside and outside the refrigerator. The inside was within normal range--freezer a little above 0 and the fresh food section about 39 degrees. The outside of doors was 65 degrees as were the walls and floor near the refrigerator. The repair person said that the condensation is caused by the humidty in the air. My thought is that many people live in humid locations --- does this happen to other people or is this refrigerator really not functioning correctly? Would the situation be improved if we had a glass panel or enamel door vs. the stainless steel?

I would like to decide as soon as possible about having this one returned and ordering another. Please advise.

Reply to
Larry

Perry Templeton

Take it back. There is a problem will the assembly or insulation. This will cause a rust out problem if you let it go.

Reply to
tnom

It can happen under certain circumstances.

I also have a KA about 6 years old. There is a switch on the control panel that you can move to the "on" position to help reduce outside moisture.

This feature may have been eliminated to make the new models Energy Star Compliant.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It is a normal occurrence under certain very humid circumstances.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

1) First look to see if you have high moisture / energy saver switch on the inside the refrigerator somewheres. It will be a electric switch and on it it will say high moistuire or energy saver and if so put it on normal and not on energy saver setting. Set it on Normal.

2) if you don't have a switch on it. your depending on the high side vapor gas to keep the moisture off the door ream and the service tech did not find the cause to the ream sweating all the time and even in lower moisture levels. You better give this baby back before it becomes yours. Refrigerators are not suppose to sweat around the door even in high humid conditions by way of design. Just Bail out before it's too late.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Look up Lowes return policy and send it back before the time limit then buy one at Sears. They will match prices and if the refrigerator screws up they are much better at trading them out no questions asked.

Reply to
Art

My New Sears and others never sweat even at 90% 82f. Id say get rid of it before its yours. It could also have incomplete door insulation and a batch is affected

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
jhill

My fridge has a switch inside you flip to reduce exterior moisture,not sure if all fridges do mine is a magic chef.

Reply to
PoCambo