Condensation inside electric dryer

I just purchased a new Kenmore electric dryer and had their contractor install it. They connected it properly, as far as I can tell, to the vent duct that penetrates the adjoining exterior wall. The length of the duct in the wall is, at most, 12 inches to the outside vent cover (an 18-year-old plastic four-hinged-flap affair). I am seeing significant condensation inside the idle dryer after just a few hours with its door closed. We have the AC running so our interior relative humidity is in a normal comfort range and the interior temperature is around 70F. It is very humid outside and I suspect there is backflow of hot, humid air back through the vent duct into the interior of the dryer where the moisture is condensing on the cool drum surface. Note - I never saw this in the 27-year-old Maytag dryer I replaced. Never.

Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution?

Sears offered to replace the dryer. I doubt seriously this would eliminate the condensation. I don't imagine a service call would either. I'm thinking I need to replace the outside vent cover with something that seals better.

TIA for your ideas.

Bob in hot, humid greater Washington.

Reply to
Joseph R. (Bob) Bouvier

I think you've identified the problem.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

It's possible the flaps on the hood are jammed open.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill