Condensation inside double-paned windows - replace glass or whole window?

We're new homeowners. We have a house with ten double hung windows with double panes. They're by Thermal-Guard. They look old, but I don't really know their age. Each window has at least one sash with bad condensation between the panes. Many have condensation in both. Some have discolored film between the panes (?). Some have broken springs.
The question is: Should we replace the complete windows? Or just the bad glass "sealed units" and fix the springs separately (possible?)?
We had a guy from a local glass shop take a look. He's the one that suggested just replacing the glass. But he was high and more than a little creepy, so we don't want him back. (There are other shops, I'm sure.)
But we do have a recommendation for a guy that can replace the complete windows. He's highly recommended by several trustworthy friends (picky skeptical people - engineers). His prices are said to be very reasonable.
So, what do you think? I realize it's a complicated question, but does anyone have advice or an opinion? Thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Obviously the seal is gone between the panes. I would think about replacement given the unknown age of the window. Need to think about Murphy's law and consider that if you replace the glass in the lower section how long before the upper section seal fails.

Not seeing the original windows, it is hard to say. Old means nothing. There are houses that have 300 year old windows and they still function as intended (but not as efficient as new). If yours are otherwise well made, replacing the glass is all that is needed. If you have rot, different story. Do they go up and down well? Seal well?. If yes, I'd replace just the glass.
Replacing the entire window opens a large list of other possibilities, such as damaged trim inside and out, repainting a lot of stuff, and on and on.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My windows vinyl are nice but have had some seal failures:(
Its no biggie replacing the sealed glass units!
Locally pittsburgh window and door do it on a carry in basis.no doubt someone in your area offeres the same sercice
on our windows double hung the sections come out easy.
so i remooove them, cover window with plastic and take to store at 8am. pick up at 3pm.
they disassemble the frame, remove measure cut and make new sealed unit reassemble frame. i stick unit back in easy job.
if your neighborhood is rough perhaps someone stays home to discourage pilfering.
cost for 3 double hung units about a 100 bucks
if you replace one complete window it will likely look different than the rest in your home, which can be a resale issue.
changing the glass avoids that altogether:)
look at replacing sealed glass units as a maintence issue

Start with the cheaper option, and if it isn't adequate, move on to the more expensive one. We had a few double pane failures in our house when we moved it. We took a few of the windows to the local glass shop for pane replacement, which was about $40 per, and they have been fine since then.
HTH
Donna
Have you determined the age of the windows and whether they are still under warranty? Some windows have long waranties. Might be the (no) lowest cost solution.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If the windows look and function well, just replace the glass unit. Don't forget to check the weather seals for wear. John
Thanks for the help, everybody. I'll check the window frames etc. carefully, and look into just replacing the glass.