Condensation between the panes of 7 yr. old skylight.(s)..okay to leave it alone?

I live in a condo, and I'm just noticing condensation between the panes in = a 7yr old Velux skylight that was installed when the roof was replaced. Ac= tually, there is a 2nd skylight installed at the same time, and I believe I= 'm also noticing a slight amount of condensation between the panes on that = one as well, but it's not as noticeable on the 2nd one.=20

If I don't care about the fogged appearance, and if I don't care about the = loss in energy efficiency, is it okay to leave them be? These are the kin= d of skylights that doesn't open or close, and I'd rather not get involved = with replacing whole skylights on the roof, unless the skylights were actua= lly leaking water (since there's always the chance that a water leak could = happen as a result of installing in a new skylight, since a new installatio= n would disturb the existing roof, etc.) Also, I live in a condo, so I wou= ld have to get the association involved if I wanted to have the skylight re= placed, and again, I'm not thrilled about having to disturb something on th= e roof as long as it is only just a condensation issue. (My philosophy is = don't disturb the existing roof unless absolutely necessary) Is it okay ju= st to leave them be, for now?=20

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jayn123

n a 7yr old Velux skylight that was installed when the roof was replaced. = =A0Actually, there is a 2nd skylight installed at the same time, and I beli= eve I'm also noticing a slight amount of condensation between the panes on = that one as well, but it's not as noticeable on the 2nd one.

e loss in energy efficiency, is it okay to leave them be? =A0 These are the= kind of skylights that doesn't open or close, and I'd rather not get invol= ved with replacing whole skylights on the roof, unless the skylights were a= ctually leaking water (since there's always the chance that a water leak co= uld happen as a result of installing in a new skylight, since a new install= ation would disturb the existing roof, etc.) =A0Also, I live in a condo, so= I would have to get the association involved if I wanted to have the skyli= ght replaced, and again, I'm not thrilled about having to disturb something= on the roof as long as it is only just a condensation issue. =A0(My philos= ophy is don't disturb the existing roof unless absolutely necessary) =A0Is = it okay just to leave them be, for now?

There is A- A small air leak past the seal between to sheets of glass. And B- The dessicant that is inside the metal spacer between the glass has been used up. So condensation appears. Remove sealed unit and take to glazier & ask for another to be made.

It is just an appearance thing. On a rooflight you will hardly notice.

In the UK there is a ten year guarantee against this, dunno about the US.

Reply to
harry

My parents house has several double pane picture windows, about 3 by 6 foot. One or two has some condensation btween the panes. Been that way for several decades, and not done any damage. My sense is that it's a non issue if you don't mind the look.

I'm not a glass guy, but you can always phone a couple of glass companies out of your phone book yellow pages.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

[...]

Looking like hell and losing more energy through it are the only factors. But, have you checked for a warranty? Velux is a top company and I would not be surprised they are still under warranty. Also, are you sure it's inside the glass and not on the inside from humidity in the house?

Reply to
trader4

[...]

You might want to check for warranty. We had two fogged windows that are around 10 years old that were made by a local window company. I was just going to pull them and drop them off at a nearby glass place but decided to call the dealer where we bought them. Turns out they had a full replacement warranty. I dropped them off in the morning and picked up the repaired windows that afternoon repaired at no charge.

Reply to
George

It turns out that it it's not condensation. It's some kind of white residu= e on the inner-most pane of the glass, and it wipes off with a wet cloth, b= ut not a dry cloth. It's either minerals (or other impurity) from shower s= team condensation, or some kind of dust that stuck to the glas, or some kin= d of mildew. I'm not seeing any water leakage.

The skylight is located in the bathroom of my condo, and even though I have= an exhaust fan, it does get some condensation on the inside after taking a= shower but it goes away after 20 minutes. The white residue was something= I've never noticed before, and doesn't go away on its own, and I thought i= t was condensation between the panes. As long as the white residue is not= the result of any leakage, I guess the skylight is okay for now.

J.

Reply to
jayn123

sidue on the inner-most pane of the glass, and it wipes off with a wet clot= h, but not a dry cloth. =A0It's either minerals (or other impurity) from sh= ower steam condensation, or some kind of dust that stuck to the glas, or so= me kind of mildew. =A0I'm not seeing any water leakage.

ve an exhaust fan, it does get some condensation on the inside after taking= a shower but it goes away after 20 minutes. =A0The white residue was somet= hing I've never noticed before, and doesn't go away on its own, and I thoug= ht it was condensation between the panes. =A0 As long as the white residue = is not the result of any leakage, I guess the skylight is okay for now.

if it were ondensation or worse yet water building up between the panes. the real hazard is then water freezes and breaks them pane or panes as it expands . i have seen this happen in pittsburgh with double pane windows

Reply to
bob haller

residue on the inner-most pane of the glass, and it wipes off with a wet cl= oth, but not a dry cloth. =A0It's either minerals (or other impurity) from = shower steam condensation, or some kind of dust that stuck to the glas, or = some kind of mildew. =A0I'm not seeing any water leakage.

have an exhaust fan, it does get some condensation on the inside after taki= ng a shower but it goes away after 20 minutes. =A0The white residue was som= ething I've never noticed before, and doesn't go away on its own, and I tho= ught it was condensation between the panes. =A0 As long as the white residu= e is not the result of any leakage, I guess the skylight is okay for now.

Reply to
hrhofmann

e residue on the inner-most pane of the glass, and it wipes off with a wet = cloth, but not a dry cloth. =A0It's either minerals (or other impurity) fro= m shower steam condensation, or some kind of dust that stuck to the glas, o= r some kind of mildew. =A0I'm not seeing any water leakage.

I have an exhaust fan, it does get some condensation on the inside after ta= king a shower but it goes away after 20 minutes. =A0The white residue was s= omething I've never noticed before, and doesn't go away on its own, and I t= hought it was condensation between the panes. =A0 As long as the white resi= due is not the result of any leakage, I guess the skylight is okay for now.

my comment about freeze breakage was for the benefit of others who may stumble onto this thread one day

Reply to
bob haller

Got the attention of Velux rep on other group.

Greg

Reply to
gregz