Condensate pump wiring

Page 1 of 2
I have a newer Rheem RGRA gas furnace with a Rheem A/C controlled by a Honeywell T8600D thermostat, and an Aprilaire 760A humidifier. I would like to use the condensate pump's cutoff switch to shut down the A/C and the humdifier water supply, but not the furnace, to avoid a freeze condition. How can I wire the system to work? The alt.hvac guys were less than helpful. Thanks.
--
Rick

Maybe they weren't helpful because they didn't understand what you want to do. I don't understand.
Not sure about the freeze condition, but we all didnt tell him that you dont need 2 relays, but the freeze thing gets me...but...if he would simply wire that R line up, he would be hokey fine..

like
helpful.
To define my "freeze condition," meaning being away for a week during possible 0 deg weather, and the heater is shut down because of a $50 condensate pump failure. Since it is on a concrete basement floor, I'd rather that the furnace keep going, but again, I dont know how much condensate it generates. The Aprilaire, I know uses lots of water.
What is the opinion out there? Is it better to shut the furnace down to avoid acidic condensate from a high efficiency gas furnace, or put up with repairing burst pipes? By breaking the R line, I can shut down the furnace, humidifier, and AC unit, but not just the humidifier and AC unit.
--
Rick

"CBHvac" < snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com> wrote in message

would
the
Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 12:06am From: snipped-for-privacy@rauth.com (Rick) To define my "freeze condition," meaning being away for a week during possible 0 deg weather, and the heater is shut down because of a $50 condensate pump failure. Since it is on a concrete basement floor, I'd rather that the furnace keep going, but again, I don't know how much condensate it generates. The Aprilaire, I know uses lots of water. What is the opinion out there? Is it better to shut the furnace down to avoid acidic condensate from a high efficiency gas furnace, or put up with repairing burst pipes? By breaking the R line, I can shut down the furnace, humidifier, and AC unit, but not just the humidifier and AC unit.
--
Rick
"CBHvac" < snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com> wrote in message
Dont you have a floor drain or sump pump in your basenent, so when something springs a leak , and IT will , you will end up with a swimming pool , ruining everything. That must be addressed first. You are worried about a measly 50 gallons on the floor , when shuting down the furnace , bursting a pipe, could dump 50000 gallons in a week and cost you tens of thousands.. Gee Ask your ins co, Ill bet they dump you for your stupid ideas. Put in a house Sump . Put in 2 condensate pumps, Leaving when its zero out you need your furnace to run, not plan a shutoff, I would not wire a shutoff.
I dont have a floor drain or sump pump. The sewer pipe exits 3 ft off the floor. The house is 100 yrs old, in fact, a part of the floor where the coal bin was is dirt, the rubble walls are river rock. The rest of the floor is so uneven, I would have a hard time finding the lowest point to install a sump pump. No need to resort to calling people foul names, mark.
--
Rick

"mark Ransley" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 19, 2003, 2:03pm From: snipped-for-privacy@rauth.com (Rick) I have a newer Rheem RGRA gas furnace with a Rheem A/C controlled by a Honeywell T8600D thermostat, and an Aprilaire 760A humidifier. I would like to use the condensate pump's cutoff switch to shut down the A/C and the humidifier water supply, but not the furnace, to avoid a freeze condition. How can I wire the system to work? The alt.hvac guys were less than helpful. Thanks.
--
Rick
++++++++++++++++++

"john williamson" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
Snip>>> "Since I am away usually only a few days, maybe the risk of frozen pipes is minimal." Over a few days I imagine the amount of water generated would not be excessive so why on earth would you ever want to take such a risk? I decided not to have my pump shut off in the event of a condensate system failure. I'll be away for as long as a month in the middle of winter and would, obviously, rather have water on the floor vs having to face frozen/busted pipes when I get home. I am currently going through the aftermath of a water damage problem that has so far resulted in approx $35,000 in rebuilding.remodeling costs. Happened while I was away, came home to running water from an over-flowing toilet and it's no fun. MLD
(Rick)

Hi john, hope you are having a nice day
On 19-Oct-03 At About 08:33:36, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> 0006b33 From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson)
jw> Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 19, jw> 2003, 2:03pm From: snipped-for-privacy@rauth.com (Rick) I have a newer Rheem jw> RGRA gas furnace with a Rheem A/C controlled by a Honeywell T8600D jw> thermostat, and an Aprilaire 760A humidifier. I would like to use jw> the condensate pump's cutoff switch to shut down the A/C and the jw> humidifier water supply, but not the furnace, to avoid a freeze jw> condition. How can I wire the system to work? The alt.hvac guys were jw> less than helpful. Thanks. --Rick ++++++++++++++++++
jw> John wrote:
jw> No problem Rick, but you will need to add a relay or two.
Actually he can do it without adding any relays. lets see if you can figure it out John. can you tell me how he can do this without adding any relays?
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "A friend of mine is in jail for counterfeiting pennies..."- s.w.
(Rick) I have a newer Rheem

figure
We all over in hvac had a nice e-mail discussion about that...its so hard...ummm....ahhh...wait...I am in the learning stages according to John, the ever powerful 40 year retired MechEng....hummmm....I am sure he can make it work on paper with about 30 more parts than needed, but any tech worth his salt can do it with the wires that are there existing.....kinda like most do now....its such haRd work.

Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2003, 9:22pm From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (HvacTech2) jw> Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 19, jw> 2003, 2:03pm From: snipped-for-privacy@rauth.com (Rick) I have a newer Rheem jw> RGRA gas furnace with a Rheem A/C controlled by a Honeywell T8600D jw> thermostat, and an Aprilaire 760A humidifier. I would like to use jw> the condensate pump's cutoff switch to shut down the A/C and the jw> humidifier water supply, but not the furnace, to avoid a freeze jw> condition. How can I wire the system to work? The alt.hvac guys were jw> less than helpful. Thanks. --Rick ++++++++++++++++++++ jw> John wrote: jw> No problem Rick, but you will need to add a relay or two. (snip) +++++++++++++++++++++++ HvacTech2 wrote:
Actually he can do it without adding any relays. lets see if you can figure it out John. can you tell me how he can do this without adding any relays? -=> HvacTech2 <=- . "A friend of mine is in jail for counterfeiting pennies..."- s.w. ___ TagDude 0.92+[DM] +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John wrote:
I gave him the answer to the question he asked.
Now you tell me how to do it the way he asked the question with out any relays. On topic, be specific. Tell me.
John Williamson
Hi john, hope you are having a nice day
On 19-Oct-03 At About 18:18:47, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> 0006b3d From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson)
jw> I gave him the answer to the question he asked.
jw> Now you tell me how to do it the way he asked the question with out jw> any relays. On topic, be specific. Tell me.
jw> John Williamson
Are you telling me you don't know how to do it?
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.
Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 20, 2003, 5:23am From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (HvacTech2) Hi john, hope you are having a nice day On 19-Oct-03 At About 18:18:47, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> I gave him the answer to the question he asked. jw> Now you tell me how to do it the way he asked the question with out jw> any relays. On topic, be specific. Tell me. jw> John Williamson Are you telling me you don't know how to do it? -=> HvacTech2 <=- ++++++++++++++++++++
John wrote:
No I don't know how I would do it without any relays, tell me. Just remember he asked that it not affect the heating capabilities if the condensate pump failed.
almost done John Williamson
Hi john, hope you are having a nice day
On 19-Oct-03 At About 21:15:50, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson)
jw> Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 20, jw> 2003, 5:23am From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (HvacTech2) Hi john, jw> hope you are having a nice day On 19-Oct-03 At About 18:18:47, jw> john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring jw>> 0006b3d From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson) I gave him the jw>> answer to the question he asked. Now you tell me how to do it the w jw>> he asked the question with out j any relays. On topic, be specific. Tell me. jw>> John Williamson jw> Are you telling me you don't know how to do it? -= HvacTech2 <=- jw> ++++++++++++++++++++
jw> John wrote:
jw> No I don't know how I would do it without any relays, tell me. Just jw> remember he asked that it not affect the heating capabilities if the jw> condensate pump failed.
jw> almost done John Williamson
Well, there are 2 different ways you can do it. first you could just break the commons to the humidifier and a/c or you could put the switch between RC and R or RH whichever is needed and feed the humidifier from RC.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.
Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 20, 2003, 4:23pm From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (HvacTech2) Hi john, hope you are having a nice day On 19-Oct-03 At About 21:15:50, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> Re: Condensate pump wiring Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Oct 20, jw> 2003, 5:23am From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (HvacTech2) Hi john, jw> hope you are having a nice day On 19-Oct-03 At About 18:18:47, jw> john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring =A0=A0jw>> 0006b3d From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson) I gave him the =A0=A0jw>> answer to the question he asked. Now you tell me how to do it the w =A0=A0jw>> he asked the question with out j any relays. =A0 On topic, be specific. Tell me. =A0=A0jw>> John Williamson jw> Are you telling me you don't know how to do it? =A0=A0-=3D HvacTech2 <=3D- jw>++++++++++++++++++++ jw> John wrote: jw> No I don't know how I would do it without any relays, tell me. Just jw> remember he asked that it not affect the heating capabilities if the jw> condensate pump failed. jw> almost done John Williamson
+++++++++++++++++++
Hcac Tech2 wrote:
Well, there are 2 different ways you can do it. first you could just break the commons to the humidifier and a/c ++++++++++++ John wrote
To do the above, the Aprilaire would have to be using the same transformer as the furnace/ac and have to be 24vac of course. This I do not know but If that is true, you could do it that way. I would not prefer to do it this way but granted you could and be acceptable.
+++++++++++++++++++ Hvactech wrote:
or you could put the switch between RC and R or RH whichever is needed and feed the humidifier from RC. -=> HvacTech2 <=- ++++++++++++++++++++++
John wrote: I would not even consider this due to the transits and current draw of the solenoid. It could damage the thermostat or the cooling anticipator circuit. It might work one time or a hundred times, depending on the thermostat circuit. I would put this approach in the "jerry rig" category. It would be very confusing for the service people down the road also.
Not bad though HvacTech2, not bad
John Williamson
The A/C contactor and humidifier solenoid share the same 24vac transformer. They are both ac relay coil loads, zero-crossing would snuff any serious transients.
--
Rick

Hi john, hope you are having a nice day
On 20-Oct-03 At About 11:21:28, john williamson wrote to All Subject: Re: Condensate pump wiring
jw> 0006b50 From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (john williamson)
jw> or you could put the switch between RC and R or RH whichever is jw> needed and feed the humidifier from RC. -= HvacTech2 <=- jw> ++++++++++++++++++++++
jw> John wrote: I would not even consider this due to the transits and jw> current draw of the solenoid. It could damage the thermostat or the jw> cooling anticipator circuit. It might work one time or a hundred jw> times, depending on the thermostat circuit. I would put this jw> approach in the "jerry rig" category. It would be very confusing jw> for the service people down the road also.
This is not a jury rig as the RC is the feed for the a/c circuit and doesn't run through the anticipator. I suggest you look at a thermostat diagram and refresh your memory. there is nothing it can "Damage" asd for confusing?? if they are half a decent tech it wouldn't be confusing to them.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - s.w.