condensate pump lifespan?

When we first got central A/C installed in our home back in 1988, a condensate pump was installed to get rid of the water. It has to pump a fair distance (about 30+ feet) to a drain.

Since then the home has grown, and now the same ol' pump services two high-efficiency furnaces and their A/C coils. When both furnaces are on, the pump gets pretty busy.

Given this pump's vintage, should I think about replacing it? It if were to fail, I would have a rec room full of water.

Reply to
Joe Shlabotnick

This is Turtle.

1) First if your pump is wired up right like it is suppose to be wired up. It will turn off both air cond. systems before the pump basin runs over.

2) It is never too soon after about 10 or 15 years to replace them but most will go 20 years +.

3) I think I would install each hvac system with a pump for each. Then if the pump for that unit stops, it will only shut down that unit till it can be repaired or replaced.

4) Every pump has a shut down float switch on it to be wired into the cooling systen 24 volt system and if the pump fails to pump the water out. the system will go down and not flood anything.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE