Condensate on storm door

Page 2 of 2

Ever played a game called VISH? Everybody is given the same word, everybody has a dictionary. Look up the word, pick a salient definitional word, then look that one up, etc. First person that gets a definition that uses the original word wins, having completed a "vicious circle".
RicodJour wrote: ...

Common usage does not equate to correctness...

Well, sorta...
It is an indication of another usage that may be common but again, not necessarily entirely correct (or, perhaps, "precise" would be another way to characterize it).
Common English and technical aren't the same; I'm simply pointing out the underlying technically-based difference between the two.
And, yes, I would still contend that the use of "condensation" in place of "condensate" is, in fact, incorrect however common it might be in common use.
Incorrect usage does enter daily speech but even institutionalized by dictionaries written for that purpose that reflect such doesn't actually change the underlying meaning; it simply adds an air of legitimacy that fosters incorrect and imprecise communication.
(And yes, I'll agree I'm an old fogey and I'm adept at tilting at windmills as a sidelight... :) )
On 10/30/2010 9:55 AM, dpb wrote:

Is it "through" or "thru"? All I know is that Sister Godzilla would have cracked my knuckles if I had used the latter. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

And rightfully so... :)
"Thru" is a shortened, bastardized version of the correct spelling.
On 10/30/2010 9:26 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Don't forget "condescension" or you may experience "condemnation". 8-)
TDD

The "difference" is that condensation (as it relates to a wet storm door) is defined as both the process by which matter transitions from a gas (or vapor) phase into a liquid phase *and* the product of that process, while condensate is defined as the product only, not the process.
In other words, both of these are correct:
Condensation caused condensation to appear on the storm door. Condensation caused condensate to appear on the storm door.