Concrete vs. Cement.... again

Lets say my brother in law, yep definitely my brother in law, not me, I wasn't even there.....
While he was making a footer or base for a porch support, he grabbed a bag of "Dixie Type N Masonry Cement" instead of the "quickcrete". Poured some cement and water into the hole a little at a time and mixed well, (also adding stone and small rocks, but no sand or lime). This seems to be curing quite slow. It has been kept wet, actually it was covered with a pool of water, but it's not "green" at all like I'm used to seeing with concrete. 20 hours later it is set up but just rubbing my finger on it will easily cause it to wear away. Small dry splatters can be ground up to dust in my fingers.
The porch itself has supports but in between it is developing some sagging, hence the extra support. So in the worst case, it's not like it's going to fall. So, is this going to be worth using or do I dig it out and redo it? The 4x4 is not in the cement, I planned on using the metal "feet" so it stays dryer.
I happen to have a few more bags of the same type of cement left here from the old owner. When using it for something like this, how much of what should I add to make concrete? (it was being used to make mortar for a block wall and/or stucco)
Thanks, my "brother in law" appreciates your guidance.
Tony
-

It will eventually cure but it might not be super strong. Mortar mix has added lime (also slows the cure) so it will be weaker than regular Portland. Any concrete ready mix can go bad and lose strength over time, especially if it can get damp. Don't be a cheap bastard and buy yourself a $8 bag of Portland and add a part or two of that to four or five parts of your bags of old product.
The less water you use the stronger the concrete. If it runs off the shovel you used way too much water.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I think that is the problem. It's been in a crawlspace for some time.

It didn't run off the shovel, it was thick. (The pool of water came hours after it should have been cured.)
Thanks, Tony
Tennessee Tony wrote:

shoulda spit in the mix. gives it that personal touch.
G Henslee wrote:

I did!
Tony

Then throw it away. It isn't any good.
--
Regards,
Tennessee Tony wrote:

How old was the stuff and how has it been stored. I suspect it is now worthless.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

It is probably 2 years old and stored in the crawlspace. The crawlspace is dry, the floor is all concrete and the bags of cement where on pallets, but I guess it's still too damp.
Now what do I do with the other 5 bags????????
Tony

Landfill.
--
Regards,