Concrete topping - tough and rigid?

I have a section of concrete floor (1-1/2" thick x 60 square feet) that is fragmented and deflects slightly when I walk on it because the

5/8" plywood subfloor was inadequately fastened to the joists. To stabilize the concrete, I'm thinking about applying a topping on it, ideally no more than 3/8" but thicker if necessary. Can anyone recommend a topping that's trowleable, thin, crack-resistant/crack-proof and rigid enough to resist deflection from foot traffic? Thanks...
Reply to
Darro

Sure, it's called pure unobtainium...

Actually, probably about the only thing that would do the trick given those underlying specifications would be 3/8" steel plate.

--

Reply to
dpb

There is none. Can you support the weak section from underneath? Fasten through the existing concrete?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

rip out existing and replace. anything else will fail probably sooner rather than later.

so why do you have a concrete floor over plywood?

Reply to
hallerb

Probably firebreak. Pretty common in cheap apartment buildings.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

dpb wrote in news:gd6184$r0r$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Looks like I need an updated periodic table.

Reply to
Red Green

I'm guessing you've got a deteriorated gypcrete situation.....you "might" be able repair / re-consolidate the fractured crap with a liquid 2 part epoxy like SIKA Sikadur 35 HI-MOD, LV, LPL.

The stuff ain't cheap, comes in a 3 gal "kit".... total 3 gallon kits yields about 700 cubic inches of mixed resin.

I'm not sure how you'd calculate or estimate how much you'd need to do the job but a full kit would give you about 6 ozs per sq ft......

maybe enough re-wet all the cracked pieces & glue them back together?

For my money I'd remove all of it, screw down the plywood & re-pour a new batch. A successful repair would be a long shot.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207