Concrete Steps - how?

We have a new double-wide ground set manufactured home. At present we have "temporary" wooden steps to the front and side doors, but I would like to install concrete steps. The total rise from ground is 14-16 inches, so I'm guessing, as with the wooden steps, it would be 2 steps at each door, resting on firmly packed earth.

These would essentially be "free standing" steps and, as we are in Phoenix, I don't think we need to worry about climate changes heaving the ground.

Any plans/instructions availble for DIY? Pros and cons?

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Since concrete blocks are 8x8x16 it should be EZ to make then from concrete blocks. I actually use one like that on my porch, stacked loose and not even cemented together but I recommend you do cement them together for stability ;)

nick hull

Before you buy the block, I'd call the local precast concrete place and get a price on precast hollow steps, like most owners of such houses use. Hard-packed Arizona dirt or not, they WILL eventually move on you, and it is nice to be able to drag the steps out of the way to regrade, versus demolishing them. Be aware code usually requires a landing at the top, so you don't step backwards and fall down when opening door. (Yes, that even applies to doors that open in, like when you bend over struggling with keys.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

One of my neighbors has something like that at his back yard.

He did pour a base to get it all nice and even. Then he mortered the blocks in place. To make it look nicer, he then used a decking type wood and covered the stairs with that. Looks pretty nice actually!

Reply to
cshenk

Mobile home dealers sell pre cast steps of various sizes. Check the phone book. They are nicely finished...

Similar to this JPG:

They won't move on that desert ground :-)

Reply to
Oren

On Sun 04 May 2008 03:26:35a, aemeijers told us...

I like that idea! Thanks, aem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 May 2008 02:55:44a, nick hull told us...

I'm sure that would work fine, but I don't like the look of concrete blocks. I want something more finished looking. Thanks for the idea, though.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 May 2008 10:43:35a, cshenk told us...

I'm sure that worked well, Carol, and I'm sure that it looks nice. However, I want these stairs to look more like the stairs poured for a stick-built home. Thanks, though.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 May 2008 11:57:52a, Oren told us...

Thanks, Oren. That's more what I'm after. I'll take a look in the area.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright