Concrete Steps

Page 2 of 2
On 7/31/2016 3:00 PM, c1gmlm wrote:

Screw him. He even admitted to doing it wrong. You should have it on recorder. He did a poor job, admitted it and should cover the entire cost. If not, take him to court. Don't let him tell you a court of law will not side with you. He's using intimidating tactics. Call his bluff and RECORD everything from here on.
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 3:01:00 PM UTC-4, c1gmlm wrote:

e outside wall. The contractor has suggested that they drill horizontal ho les through the side and fill it with a piece of re bar and epoxy. Then fil l the crack with a very thin epoxy to prevent water from freezing in it and making it worst. I would be find with this if it would work. He also admit ted that it was probably his fault because of removing the outside form too soon pulling the cement from the internal form. He also suggested maybe pu tting in big bolts. His last comment was that he would split the cost to re do the steps completely ( my half would be $800). When I balked at that he said a court of law would not back me because all concrete cracks. Not sure how to attach photo.
No one has addressed the method that the contractor wanted to repair it wit h bolts or rebar and epoxy
On 07/31/2016 9:41 PM, c1gmlm wrote: ...

It won't last--no matter what you put in there, there will be water intrusion and particularly if you're in an area that freezes it'll finish the job. You've got a complete crack already in a new pour; in my opinion it's just unacceptable, particularly when the contractor has allowed as how he took the forms off too soon.
The rest of the work is excellent it appears; he just made a mistake and should make it good.
On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 12:14:25 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

+1
And I also had addressed it earlier:
"IMO, any attempted repair isn't going to last"
You do repairs on old concrete, no reason you should have to do that kind of repair on a brand new pour because it was done incompetently. Aside from that it won't last, how is he going to make it invisible?
On 7/31/2016 7:41 PM, c1gmlm wrote:

makes you wonder why there isn't rebar in there in the first place.
On 07/31/2016 10:41 PM, c1gmlm wrote:

Why not some duct tape too?
I'd cut my losses and kick the clowntractor to the curb. In my opinion, he's too fusking stupid to do the job properly.

re-bar ties MAY fix the problem in the short term, but does not address the cause of the very pre-mature failure of the concrete cast. I would insist on it being redone properly - and this time WITH a permit and inspection.
A lot of you guys bitch and complain about "government interference" and a "cash grab" when it comes to permits and inspections - but here is a case where a permit and inspection could well be the difference between this cracked step and a perfect job - - - I hate paying for permits as much as the next guy - but just saying - - - - .
On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 4:17:17 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

the outside wall. The contractor has suggested that they drill horizontal holes through the side and fill it with a piece of re bar and epoxy. Then fill the crack with a very thin epoxy to prevent water from freezing in it and making it worst. I would be find with this if it would work. He also ad mitted that it was probably his fault because of removing the outside form too soon pulling the cement from the internal form. He also suggested maybe putting in big bolts. His last comment was that he would split the cost to redo the steps completely ( my half would be $800). When I balked at that he said a court of law would not back me because all concrete cracks. Not s ure how to attach photo.

Why? The contractor claims it was because he took the form away too soon. Was the inspector going to stand there with a clock to prevent the contractor from removing the form too soon?
On 8/7/2016 7:58 PM, trader_4 wrote: -

Maybe...but if I had to bet, my money says the lazy/stupid/alcoholic contractor didn't dig the footing down to undisturbed soil. The construction business is infected with lazy stupid drunks.
And FWIW, if you do find a skilled reliable tradesman, pay them well because they are worth every penny.
And FWIW, if you do find a skilled reliable tradesman, pay them well because they are worth every penny.
Not only pay them well, but let other folks know how good they are so they get lots of new business. Personal recommendations are hard to come by.