concrete slab

pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio. code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is there as a vapor barrier.

using your words
foundations are not poured on top of patio's.
With out a LOT more SPECIFIC information , can not see it from here
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

what do you mean by slab foundation? foundation for what? what condition is the conrete patio in? we need more information.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Step one. Follow the code
Step two, if you don't like the code, see step #1.
I don't know about you, but I would want to know a lot more about what is under that patio slab before I used it as any part of a foundation for anything more than a dog house.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Does not matter what I think. If the inspector thinks different, you have a problem. Run it by him first. If the slab is for a 10 x 8 shed and no permits and inspection required, you may be OK. Otherwise, it will be very expensive to tear out if the inspector does not buy it.
On 31 May 2006 15:52:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Let me guess, your code is for a new foundation? Break up the patio an build a "slab foundation", or contact the permit department for some clarity.
Oren
Oren wrote:

slab is in good condition. it is a slab foundation for a room addition 24x12. bearing walls sit on new 16"x18" foundation. existing slab wont really support anything.more worried about creating a sand and visqueen barrier which would allow the slab to slide back and forth. Oren wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

is this for a patio or are you building a room addition. if it is a room addition you better check with your building regs. i did that, i had footers under the existing slab. i will bet if it is just 4 inches you do not have footers.