concrete slab

pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio. code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is there as a vapor barrier.

Reply to
bajimenezconc

using your words

foundations are not poured on top of patio's.

With out a LOT more SPECIFIC information , can not see it from here

Reply to
SQLit

what do you mean by slab foundation? foundation for what? what condition is the conrete patio in? we need more information.

Reply to
marson

Step one. Follow the code

Step two, if you don't like the code, see step #1.

I don't know about you, but I would want to know a lot more about what is under that patio slab before I used it as any part of a foundation for anything more than a dog house.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Does not matter what I think. If the inspector thinks different, you have a problem. Run it by him first. If the slab is for a 10 x 8 shed and no permits and inspection required, you may be OK. Otherwise, it will be very expensive to tear out if the inspector does not buy it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let me guess, your code is for a new foundation? Break up the patio an build a "slab foundation", or contact the permit department for some clarity.

Oren

Oren

Reply to
bajimenezconc

Reply to
bajimenezconc

is this for a patio or are you building a room addition. if it is a room addition you better check with your building regs. i did that, i had footers under the existing slab. i will bet if it is just 4 inches you do not have footers.

Reply to
dkarnes