Concrete Saw Blades?

Rented a gas powered concrete saw today and didn't make a whole lot of progress. In several hours I made a notch about 1.5" deep and eight feet long. Used a standard 14 inch masonry blade. The guy said a diamond blade could be rented for an extra $35. Can anyone tell me whether a diamond blade would cut appreciably faster? Or does a diamond blade just have a much longer lifespan?

Gas powered and not a diamond blade? Does not sound right to me. Does it have a metal blade? If it does are you using water?
My skill saw and a bunch of fiber blades would have done that much.
Diamond blades can help. Some diamond blades are dry, some are wet. I prefer the wet. Keeps the blade cooler and helps remove some of the material.
Some concrete is harder than others.
SQLit wrote:

Just had a standard $6 14 inch abrasive masonry blade. I used water from a garden hose to keep the dust under control.

diamond
prefer
With a fiber blade your doing ok. I have never seen a gas powered saw rented with a fiber blade.
Dave wrote:

I rented one a few years ago. About a 14" diamond blade. Made a cut 8" long horizontal by 24" vertical cut through a very solid 6" thick concrete knee wall (had to cut from both sides). Took about an hour and most of that was spent resting as that is one moose of a tool to use down at ground level horizontally. They didn't rent the blade, they charged by the amount worn off it. Micrometered it on check out and back in on return. I somehow must have chipped one tooth as that one caused me to pay for that amount off of all of them. Price was not bad at all. I used a garden hose with a small stream of water running on the blade.
Harry K
galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Dave, a cut that size would take about 5 minutes with our diamond blade saw.
Dennis
Using a diamond blade in concrete is almost like the perverbial hot knife through butter. Get a diamond blade. I'll never go back to the other type!